tire nightmare - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
please read my post dude. I never said anything about hieght, and yeah i think many people here know what trailing arms and control/radius arms. did you know you could even hinge control arms for more "articulation". 285's arent much taller than stocker either blow me.

Follow-up Post:

look at the photos i posted I think I saved you some time. no worries just dont turn the wheel so hard
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Rover- Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I mean really tho what is it rubbing? trailing arms are the ones that go to the rear control/radius arms are in the front does it rub when you turn or are going straight. the 285 isnt much more than stocker if they rub in all steering positions something is wrong. this is being made a lot harder than it needs to be, you can run those tires stock with little issue

maybe this will help, are these the things getting rubbed, if so ill go get a photo of the things you should adjust so it wont happen, did you get those white letter turned to the inside?

o yeah that's not rust its red clay residue
That's IT...I LOVE YOU MAN...
That acsactly what it was rubbing against, my question though...
someone here on this site made a good point about the D-90 having a turn radius of the TITANIC
now if you adjust those turn/steering stops...well, its self explanatory...no !?
better get those spacers...no !?
I just don't want all of the sudden go straight, when I meant to make a turn , just so the tires don't rub
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

You can give shit to a girl but you can't take it! Blow yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Rover-girl,

Please pay attention to what I am about to tell you. I am going to explain the easiest way to make the tires stop rubbing. Now please calm down a little, have a cup of tea, and follow these instructions:

When you are turning sharp left and you hear the rubbing start, turn the wheel a little to the right. When you stop hearing it you are done. Reverse and repeat for right turns.

Or adjust steering stops.

Your welcome.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:00 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
man if you have to say that steering thingy you shouldnt be considering those tires. or a Defender with mods for that matter.

Follow-up Post:

o yeah running boards nuff said
This from the guy who only wheeled his D90 for the first time last week and got it stuck.

Keep the pointless comments out of a Tech thread when someone is looking for help.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Jack_Straw
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover- Girl
someone here on this site made a good point about the D-90 having a turn radius of the TITANIC
now if you adjust those turn/steering stops...well, its self explanatory...no !?
better get those spacers...no !?
I just don't want all of the sudden go straight, when I meant to make a turn , just so the tires don't rub
Some people run the spacers and love them, usually until they try to remove them. Then there are those that say they suck.... another option for you is to run offset rims. There are some nice options available for fairly cheap. But for now, adjust your stops and try it out, it may not be as bad as you're thinking. Good luck.
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Rover- Girl

morning...
thanks for everyone input on the subject...
I will go ahead and have them adjust the steering stops
but I will not have that done at sams club, those idiots should
had done that, or at least known about doing this as an option ( I would think so anyway )!?
again, thanks
Christine
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

The post from Mike M is spot on, with a diagram. You could take it almost anywhere and have it done with that in your hand. All you're doing is lengthening a bolt which won't allow you to turn as far, thereby eliminating the rub. We're talking fractions of inches here, so don't worry about your turning radius. That's what the steering stops are there for.

Places like Sams Club and Costco either rarely deviate from stock tires or won't do it at all. Issues like this may be why, as they pay about $8/hour and none of those kids are capable nor expected to try and figure this stuff out.

It'll work and good luck!
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:08 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover- Girl
morning...
thanks for everyone input on the subject...
I will go ahead and have them adjust the steering stops
but I will not have that done at sams club, those idiots should
had done that, or at least known about doing this as an option ( I would think so anyway )!?
again, thanks
Christine
You're doing exactly what you should do. You probably will not even notice a difference in the turning radius. If you do and it's a problem then think about wheels or spacers.

I have some minor rubbing on my radius arms but it's really no problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, tire