Tire Mounting Options for my Tithonus - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2014, 12:49 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Tire Mounting Options for my Tithonus

I am buying the bits for my tailgate since I just converted to a soft top. I was originally going to go with a drop down gate, but I actually am leaning towards a swing now. Why? Because I already have the mounts attached, and I think I'd need less parts. Also, I think it would be easier to get into the vehicle that way.

So the options for mounting the tire are 1. On the side, wolf style if I can find a bracket. 2. On the rear, NAS style if I buy a mount, or 3. Keeping it EX-Mod style and putting it on the hood.

Any thoughts on where you like the tire the best? I'm leaning towards #3 for more visibility when off-roading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2014, 01:21 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
On the hood .... tire holds it down if the latch breaks

If the tire isn't to wide it just looks good on the hood, if your not a short guy.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
On the hood .... tire holds it down if the latch breaks

If the tire isn't to wide it just looks good on the hood, if your not a short guy.
X2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

On the hood reduces forward visability.

I'd go for the side mount unit in your scenario, but you'll have to change out the arms of your mirrors for the longer versions.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 7th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
like all other mods its a question of what appeals to you. Personally I like the NAS softop design with side swinging tailgate (uses your door hinges) and the NAS st spare tire carrier design that swings with the tailgate. I grew up driving series with the spare on the hood and without is so much better imho.
Side mount is ok for desert use where you have no width concerns but anywhere else quickly becomes a liability. Especially in parking lots or on narrow trails. It takes one of the cool features of the defender- its narrowness and makes it more like a humvee and limits where you can take it and park it. Of course if all you are going for the cool Wolf look and don't mind the additional care needed to keep from raking it off on a parking garage pillar or a tree on a trail go for it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 7th, 2014, 09:55 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Tire on hood or rear is a matter of preference, personally I have always had on the hood with all my rovers and never bothered me as far as visibility off road (sticking my head out the window to watch the left wheel or looking across to watch the right fender is more important to me than the frog I just ran over directly in front.)

I like the weight distribution better in front rather than bouncing at the rear, especially in hard climbs, and rear visibility and clearance is better. I also always liked the functionality of having an extra step frontal access to the roof rack, or perch to sit on when in situ.

Negatives for the hood mount is weight to open the hood, but one developes a technique for that.

Sidemount, my concern would be width off road.
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:36 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I am a subscriber to the "two spares is one spare and one spare is no spares" approach. The primary use of my truck is long desert trips and I need the peace of mind. So, I will add a second spare and it will have to be in the rear, probably a Mantec carrier. This may mean that I have to trim a small piece from the gel top to accommodate the bracket and y'all know how I feel about that, lol. I just can't think of any other way to do it. Side-mounted spares make sense in a combat vehicle but not for what I do with mine.

/
/
/
/
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Wow, Chris Snell and I actually agree on somthing. I have one on the hood and one on the hood and one on a swing away tire carrier on the back door. On a longer trip if you get a flat, you still have a spare on board to continue on to your destination.

An added bonus is when stuck in So. Florida traffic chicks in front of you look in their rear view mirror and see that manly mud tire mounted on the hood and think "he looks like a dork, but that tire on the hood sure is cool." Conversly, the chicks in back of me get to look at my mud tire on the rear and marvel at the coolness of it all. Winning! (humor icon)
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:24 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Wow, Chris Snell and I actually agree on somthing.
Probably more than you realize...

/
/
/
/
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:40 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
How about a mount on the bulkhead behind the front seats?

Or is there not one? I know the 5 doors don't have it.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:18 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Cut my 110 rear door in half, welded a bar on top and topped it with 2 of the series metal door cappings (cut and welded together).
This molding matches the body cappings on the side and looks factory.
Then added a swing away spare tire carrier from LRDirect.

Kept the top of the rear door and modified it in a similar fashion so it can be bolted back onto the door bottom.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
. I have one on the hood and one on the hood and one on a swing away
Wow Raub, 3 spares?
You are prepared!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:33 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Cut my 110 rear door in half, welded a bar on top and topped it with 2 of the series metal door cappings (cut and welded together).
This molding matches the body cappings on the side and looks factory.
Then added a swing away spare tire carrier from LRDirect.

Kept the top of the rear door and modified it in a similar fashion so it can be bolted back onto the door bottom.
That's an interesting idea. It would be sweet if it used door top posts to hold it.

/
/
/
/
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Any pictures to make the problem clearer? I'd think spacers would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
So, I will add a second spare and it will have to be in the rear, probably a Mantec carrier. This may mean that I have to trim a small piece from the gel top to accommodate the bracket and y'all know how I feel about that, lol. I just can't think of any other way to do it.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:58 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Like Raub.....kinda...one on the hood, one on the rear. Can't beat it!
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:10 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Any pictures to make the problem clearer? I'd think spacers would do it.
You can see the problem in this photo. Look at how the gel top overlaps the capping:

I would have to cut out a small piece where it covers the hinge mounting point. Sucks but there's no better way around it that I can think of.

/
/
/
/
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Mtanzania
Frank
1994 D1 300tdi - Sold :-(

My only experience with hood mounted tires was when I lived in Tanzania and with the quality, or lack thereof, of the roads, the weight of the tire always ended up ruining the hood...would that happen in the USA where one seldom if ever encountered that kind of road? I doubt it but I have always been against that method of carrying a tire. We always had one on the roof rack, one on the back, and numerous New tubes to repair the ruined ones.

Course the back doors would also crack on the older Nissan patrol's from the weight of the tire...

Just my 2
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Aha! You also have the pintle hitch that stops you using Clay's tire carrier. I ran into that problem.

Think Rockware has the only possible solution for you. Its a bumper that overlays the rear crossmember and doesn't have an upper mount.

http://rockware.net/rover/MVC-006S.JPG

You'll have to check on the pintle mount with them, but it appears drilled for one.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Why can't you put a spacer slightly thicker than the overlapping piece of top between the body and the tire carrier and bolt it through the body below the top? Tie the backing plate into the cage for strength. You'd probably need a spacer at the bottom as well, but nbd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
You can see the problem in this photo. Look at how the gel top overlaps the capping:

I would have to cut out a small piece where it covers the hinge mounting point. Sucks but there's no better way around it that I can think of.
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Did you see the tire carrier Korongo has on his new 110? It doesn't mount to the horizontal portion of the capping but below it to the vertical part. It looks like there may be enough clearance for the gel top.
Here's a pic: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...2&d=1389130870

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount, tire, tithonus