Tire Inflation Systems - use my current scuba tanks?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Andy B
94 D90 NAS
Tire Inflation Systems - use my current scuba tanks??

Been looking at an alternative to the available portable air tank systems for my Defender 90. I did a quick search with limited info.

I am an avid scuba diver and always have full tanks on hand (both aluminum and high pressure steel). Seems that many of the portable tanks systems are aluminum scuba tanks.

Does it not make sense to use one of my spare scuba regulators (first stage) and add an attachment to the low pressure port to inflate my tires? The regulator is designed to resist freeze up and there are a few aftermarket attachments for air inflation. It also already has a guage. I will be using air instead of CO2.

Am I missing something or will this work?

Thanks in advance.

94 Defender 90
07 BMW GSA Adventure

Old September 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
I think the problem with normal air tanks is the volatility... CO2 is only at 1800 psi, where air can be 4500 psi. CO2 bottles also have a relieve valve, and it will not shoot across the room if it falls over.

I have Powertanks, and really like them, they have been very useful. I would recommend just purchasing one of them. There are a few knock-offs, and I think that they work well. A few people have cobbled together a CO2 system by getting a used CO2 tank from a restaurant supply or a welding shop, then buying a regulator off eBay. The Powertank regulator, in my opinion, is far superior and provides up to 200 psi, and does not freeze up.

Old September 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor
I agree with Scott. No need to pay for an expensive tank. Go to your local welding shop and you just lease it basically. When its empty, you drop it off and pick up a full one.

I have a Power Tank and when I take it to get filled, I some times have to wait 30= min to have it filled. The tank then just goes in a bag anyway and you never tell what brand it is anyway.
Legend in My Own Mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions