Tire/ gearing question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Tire/ gearing question

Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I read through a couple pages of posts and I am still a little confused. I`ve got 4.10 gearing and 33`s, and I wanted to go up to 35`s... Am I correct in thinking that going up to 35`s from 33`s on the 4.10 gearing will help return the truck to more of a stock driving feel? That aside, if I do go up to 35`s, is there anything else that I truly NEED to upgrade? I`ve obviously already got the gearing, and more than substantial lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I like 4:10's with 35's. I haven't done the math in a while but it's pretty close to stock.

Every Defender that I am familiar with that runs 35's and as much as a 3" lift, needed to trim the plastic fender flares and even the metal behind the rear tires. That is with about a 4" backspace on the wheels. With the stock backspace wheels, maybe no trimming but you loose some turning radius.

http://members.tripod.com/calrovers/trimming.htm Something similar to this but there is no need to trim the flares that much if you don't want. I have also found that the 2 1/2" dimension can be shrunk to 1 5/8" and still clear a true 35" tire. The 14" dimension can also be shrunk to 11".

Follow-up Post:

Also I forgot to mention the need for heavy duty axles if you wheel it and for sure if you use lockers.

I wheeled for a while with 35's and no lockers with stock axles but I don't think it is a good idea long term. The stock axles showed a lot of twist when I changed them out.
Old September 1st, 2006, 07:25 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
35" MTR's with a 3" lift required no trimming of anything on my rig. I have 4" backspacing on the rims by the way... I would do some HD axles if you have lockers for sure..
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

jack mcnamaras... any particular axles you`d recommend?
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Rovertracks can be had for a very fair price.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:43 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Echo the endorsement of Rovertracks. $400 for the rear. Additionally, Keith is working on a front axle system that is quite interesting. $650 for axles and CVs, with lifetime warranty. Needless to say, I'm on the short list for that upgrade. Prototype should be in his hands next week. All goes well, product available by end of month. Mark
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:33 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Again, on the Rover Tracks setup. I am also running his axles.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I am currently running 33's and a 2" OME lift. I'd like to go to 35's, so

1. Will this work for clearance or do I need more list? Clearance is fine on 33's and I am willing to trim.

2. How can I determine my current gear ratio? Current ratio seems fine to me atr highway speeds - maybe not low enough when wheeling even due to my auto conversion.

thanks
charles
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I don't know how 2" lift would work with 35's but I would think if you didn't mind trimming it could work. You might have issues with the tire rubbing on the fuel filler line that goes from the gas cap to the tank, when fully stuffed. Or if you can match TDI Guy's setup maybe no rubbing at all?

Ashcroft in the UK has some good info on gear ratios and there are several places on the web that has formulas and info on figuring gear ratios. Can't remember where they were right now.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

gearbox ratio X Tcase ratio X diff ratio

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire