Tire, coolant and other new owner questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
Van Der Waal
Tire, coolant and other new owner questions

OK, just got home with the new baby (White '94 ST #601) and I noticed some curious things on the 1000 mile trip. For about the first 600 miles, whenever I would stop I'd notice a pool of coolant underneath. Looks like it's coming from the expansion tank, but it was hard to tell if it was the overflow tube, or the lid, or the seam around the middle leaking. I just want to make sure it's not normal. My '69 Series IIa would occaisionally do things like that and it didn't have a "leak". The level is now OK, so it didn't just run dry

2nd, It has BFG MT 285/75R16's and when I got home (7700 ft elevation) I thought they would have about 75 psi in them since I came from sea level. Well they have 20 psi in there, so was the PO running 5-10 psi in them? They didn't look aired down at all when I picked up the truck, and now they still aren't bulging as much as the 265's on the Disco at 35 psi. I've searched on this one and it seems that people run these anywhere from 20 to 50 psi. So, I guess comfort is the big factor? Comparing it to my old Series which felt like getting hit in the back with a shovel while driving a tractor, the Defender rides really smoothly, at least for a UPS truck

3rd, I'm moving across the country to CT and have to drive the cars in about a week, so I'll be doing the 60,000 mile maintenance this weekend. Anything else to get it ready for the long drive? It has the LT77S transmission, what's the reason everyone wants to update to the R380?

Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import
I run 285/75s at 30psi back and front. They are very comfy off road at 12 psi but not so sensible on road...

Old October 24th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
LT77S had a problem with lubrication to the rear output shaft and the input gear in the transfer box. The splines waer prematurely. This is easily cured by fitting a cross drilled input gear if ou catch it early enough before wear takes a hold on the splines. Lt77 works for me...
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

coolant, new owner, tire