Tire choice for the big trip south - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
had two sets on my series LRs. 235-85-16. they did well in most conditions, mud, snow, sand, roads too. I don't think tread is quite as critical on rocks but never had any problems on the limited rocks I did encounter. I think the sidewall is thinner than the BFG MT's, but I never damaged one. They were dead quiet on the road.

I ended up buying the radial rover MT this time around since I found myself getting stuck in mud where identical vehicles with MT tread would make it fine. Of course it may have just been the driver...

Pretty happy with those so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
anyone else have experience with the Dunlop r/t?
Especially contrasted against bfg MUDs or cooper stt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Thanks for the feedback on the R/T's... I think they are worth a serious look. I'm going to try to see a set in person today.

I like the milage people seem to get out of them, hard compound not so good for rocks, but neither is my truck. They seem to do well in mud, most tires with an open patch in the middle do...hummm

I do worry about the sidewalls, I cant find much info on the construction. Speaking of that, theo Toyo M/T's seem to be well respected on and off road. They are pricy but I have found them for $200 in 265/75. It is claimed the new construction helps them to last and stay balanced...any thoughts?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

To finish this one off.

I ended up with six 235/85 bfg m/t KM's with the center lugs siped.

I'm also running 5oz of dyna beads in each with no lead weights. Great so far... I let you all know if there is ever a problem with the beads or if they are the solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

BFG MT's are awesome in all kinds of terrain, even sand in my experience. Almost eveyone in the Baja 1000 uses them and thats all kinds of terrain, rocks, mud, and sand. That's a solid choice you made
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I just got the same size (255/85-16) MT's and although I haven't had them off-road yet, they haven't been bad around town - this is compared to the 265/75-16's BFG AT's that I already had.

Looking at the tread I was really worried about the noise but it's about the same level as the AT's at least in the cabin w/ the soft top and door windows off. I need to take it on the highway and see how they are at high speed but so far I'm pleased with their on road manners considering the type of tire it is.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

So now Steve has his (well done by the way), what about other options for those still looking.
What about a set of tires with the following criteria: "green lane driving", help with gas milage ($4.72 by me), noise on roads, good looking/some aggrssiveness (vanity my dear). From this and other threads tire with accolades are:
Dunlop Radical Rover RT
Dunlop Radical Rover RVXT
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO (though not sure what the difference between the R and RR versions is)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, trip