Tire carrier problem - bad threads - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

Tire carrier problem - bad threads

So I decided to tackle my rusty tire carrier this weekend. When I took it apart I found that the threads on the hinge pin on the main hinge (the one WITHOUT the nut on the other end) is completely mangled. What's worse is that the internal threads in the tire carrier don't look any better.

As I see it I only have a few options:
1. Just put it back together and hope it holds
2. Below the mangled threads in the tire carrier there are some clean threads, maybe I could find a substitute hinge pin with longer thread area?
3. Throw it all away and find out where I can buy a military door with built-in tire carrier. ( I like these better than another tire carrier)

Any other suggestions out there? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badthreads.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	3128   Click image for larger version

Name:	tirecarrier.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	3129  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

East Coast Rover offers a tire carrier restoration service. They said something about not taking projects for the next month, but turnaround time is supposed to be a few weeks with these. This would probably be cheaper than a new door. Besides, these tires are heavy when bearing only on the door hinges.
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:16 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I'm not home so I can't look at my tire carrier bolts. This what I would do. Get the same length bolt from any hardware store. Also you need to find a sleeve that will fit in the carrier hole, slide it in and then put the bolt in. So what you are doing is your matching the bolt you have now by another bolt and sleeve. As for the mount, just rethread it. You can buy this tool from the same hardware store.

Am I making sense? Sorry only had 3 hours of sleep so the brain is not working right
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

If there are good threads still in the mount would I really need to rethread the bad threads? As far as I can see the initial threads are torn up but there is another 1/2" afterwards that still look good.

Doesn't rethreading change the thread spacing or diameter?

Now the trick is to find a suitable sized sleeve. This could be tricky because if it doesn;t fit tight it will probably rattle alot.
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:15 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

The good thing about this is you can use any size bolt, any size sleeve. I mean you are going to rethread the hole anyway. There is no point sticking with factory thread. I still need to go home and give the mounts a good look. I have some sleeves sitting at my house so I find a bolt/sleeve combo it's yours.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonios
Now the trick is to find a suitable sized sleeve. This could be tricky because if it doesn;t fit tight it will probably rattle alot.
Yes but if you find something very close, just tighten it up really hard and hope for the best

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier