Tire advice. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Tire advice.

OK, things are progressing and it looks like I will need summer/all-seasons by the time things are ready for the road since the Blizzak will be too soft for sure.

I think I have narrowed my choices for a highway/expedition tire to either the General Grabber AT-2 or the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S both in 235/85-16. I decided against the BFG A/T both due to price and lower review scores on Tire Rack.

Does anyone have experience with both of the above, or have suggestions on other options? Higher mileage when fully inflated but reasonable mud performance if aired down is
my goal. That and not spending too much as I am already in too deep on this build and will no doubt still need more parts to finish. (anyone have a LHD heater box they would sell me cheap?).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

IMO, you can't go wrong with Dunlop Radial Rover RT.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

mounted the generals on my toyota 4x4 today. pretty quiet and good looking. Good price also. Climbed a hill with them that is a good test and was happy. Seemed comparable to the bfgs I had and maybe a bit better.
I only roll with the mud kings on my defender. The best bang for the buck.
And I love you too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Goodyear Dura trac.. Not cheap though.. they work great on ice and hard pack snow and also did well floating on top of the soft stuff last time we took the sleds out.. (F350 four door 4x4 diesel hauler) I was really impressed.
Definitely my next set of tires.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:09 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Tire Rack has the Dunlop but "Fewer than 5" and on clearout, so I don't think those are a reasonable option. Thought they are only $136 each if I found one somewhere else.

Hey Keith, the Duratrac are only $149 each which is not bad, especially compared to the Goodyear. I do like the side-lug design on them. They also have a 265/75-16 which is the exact same OD as the 235/85 and only 45lbs each vs 51lbs and a load rating of C vs E which should mean a little more compliant ride, I know my last set of E's was pretty harsh, how do you think those would look on the ZUs?

Would these be an issue for fuel economy on long trips, as well as road noise vs the two I mentioned earlier. I know my Firestone M/T are pretty bad and I'm going to extreme lengths to quiet the cabin down and improve fuel economy so it would be nice to avoid making it worse with my tire choices.

------ Follow up post added February 23rd, 2010 01:18 AM ------

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=675QR6WDTOWL do look like they'd be good. Would that be the best size to get?

Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

This may not be as applicable as the other replies, but I have the Yokohama Geolanders on my work truck (Toyota Tacoma). They are quiet on road and great in the snow. I don't wheel my work vehicle so I'm unable to offer experience with regard to off-road grip, airing down performance, etc- but as far as on road performance they are great. I don't notice any decrease in fuel economy when compared to the stock tires (road-oriented BFG; can't remember the name but they were less aggressive than the BFG A/T's). One criticism I have heard about the Yoko's and others when compared to the BFG A/T's is tread compound. I don't know if there's a rating on the sidewall to measure the durometer, etc- but I hear the A/T's have a harder compound and will last longer, which may offset the price over the long run. I only have 5000 miles on the Geolanders (mostly highway) so there is minimal wear at this point. Good luck with your affordable yet good performing tire search.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Cooper ST
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Thanks for the input, all very helpful. Now.. size.. I want to keep things in the 32" OD range since I'm running a 1:1.44 box any preference for 235/80-16 vs 265/75-16 on 7x16 rims? Especially considering that the 265 are available in a C load rating and my suspension is likely to be pretty compliant given the HD springs etc.

Anyone happen to have the 265's and a photo?

Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Crappy Tire sells one very similar to the Duratrac called teh Goodyear Territory. On sale now, buy 1, second half price.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...BTerritory.jsp
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Crappy Tire sells one very similar to the Duratrac called teh Goodyear Territory. On sale now, buy 1, second half price.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...BTerritory.jsp
To add to this post I've been running the Goodyear Territory tires from crappy tire for the last five months. The ones I have are 235/85R16, studded, and mounted on 6.5x16 steel wheels on my 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban. They are a touch noisy but I think that is mostly the studs. The truck feels very stable under all conditions and the level of grip on ice and snow is fantastic. I can add a bit of power in a corner and drift the rear out in a very predicable way, as soon as I let up the power a bit the rear snaps right back in line with no hint of getting away from me. I've been on hills where it was so icy that all the other traffic was piled up like drift wood at the bottom and these tires just let me drive around them and up the hill with no tire spin. In short, for a winter tire I love them. I'm tempted to get another set without studs for the summer season.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I have never seen a good tire made by goodyear. Even chevy quit using them on new vettes.
And I love you too
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

What is wrong with the bfg A/T's? Many use these as real overland tires with out fault.

I have a set of BFG muds in 235/85 and a set of Cooper ST's in 265/75.
I like the coopers but I will probably get BFG A/T's next time around.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
What is wrong with the bfg A/T's? Many use these as real overland tires with out fault.

I have a set of BFG muds in 235/85 and a set of Cooper ST's in 265/75.
I like the coopers but I will probably get BFG A/T's next time around.

Nothing at all. I put several hundred thousand miles on them. The Generals are a better tire and cheaper by thirty bucks.
And I love you too
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
jhobbs
Jay Hobbs
1995 D-90 SW LRNA/10 (**sold**)

I've got the AT-2s on my Disco and while I love the way they look and they've done really well off-road as well as in the snow and ice, they are a pain to keep balanced. Slightly better now that I've got some miles on them, but I've also got 18s so I think might be part of the problem. Still, I'd most likely by them again.
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
OK, things are progressing and it looks like I will need summer/all-seasons by the time things are ready for the road since the Blizzak will be too soft for sure.

I think I have narrowed my choices for a highway/expedition tire to either the General Grabber AT-2 or the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S both in 235/85-16. I decided against the BFG A/T both due to price and lower review scores on Tire Rack.

Does anyone have experience with both of the above, or have suggestions on other options? Higher mileage when fully inflated but reasonable mud performance if aired down is
my goal. That and not spending too much as I am already in too deep on this build and will no doubt still need more parts to finish. (anyone have a LHD heater box they would sell me cheap?).
I have the Geolander and love them, very good ride on road and off. I bought mine from eBay "Discount Tire Select" is the store name.
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
I have never seen a good tire made by goodyear.
I really liked the Goodyear Traction Sure Grip, but that was back in the 60's and 70's and they were bias ply. They were great for a Series Rover though.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

OK, so.. sizes?

Old February 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
For a 110 200TDI. 285/75/16. Fits with no mods. Gets you to a size almost big enough for the size of truck.... Unless you never go off road, then anything will do.
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:28 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

OK, so the 265/75-16 would also be good then, it makes them the same OD as my Blizzak winter tires meaning no speedo adjustments etc. It is more of an expedition/long-range vehicle than an off-roader, it will see some rough off-road but not be dragged out crawling or mudding. Got the D2 for that now, and hopefully a 90 once I finish this one.

Thanks for the perspective.

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
I have never seen a good tire made by goodyear. Even chevy quit using them on new vettes.
I used to think the same until I talked to a Goodyear Tire rep and was informed that OEMs use a substandard tire for all new vehicles because of leasing purposes; ie only designed to last so long. So I bought a set of Wrangler ATS for a 3/4 ton work van and they were phenomenal. I have had new goodyears on many new vehicles and the best thing I could do was throw them out. It was always a like a new and better car as soon as they were changed to some other brand, but would definitely consider Goodyear if you're buying retail. You do pay more because of their advertising (someone's gotta pay for that crap and it isn't them) but if you get them on sale like they are all the time it's more bearable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire