Tips on Swapping out the T-Case input Gear? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST
Tips on Swapping out the T-Case input Gear?

Hey All,

I've had a cross drilled input gear for the LT230 in my '95 D-90 sitting in my garage for awhile. I'd like to get it put in before there are any issues. Any tips on the install (I know it can be done through the PTO cover)? Should I use a bearing puller and reuse the existing bearings (Since I can't really change the front race (can I?) or buy new bearings (anyone have the P/Ns if so)? I seem to recall hearing that it can be tough to mesh the new gear back up when installing it, and tips for this? Thanks in advance..

~Scott T.
'95 D-90 ST - AA Yellow
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Save The Manuals!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel
I just did the one on my RRC e-series LT230 and it was a piece of cake.

Yes, put new bearings on the new gear before the swap out, and swaping the rear race is not a big deal, I left the front in. I did not need a puller, just put the T-case in neutral and the gear comes right out and goes right back in as well. Easy smeezy job. The rear race is in the inner cover, no prob.

I did my stub shaft at the same time since it was a ZF 22, no more klonks, all gone.

72 Series III 109 SW Diesel, 03 RR, 98 Porsche 986, 01 Porsche 986 3.6 L
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Someone will remind us of whether a 2in output with mate with the new 3in input. I forget which way it works and which way it does not.

But yes, it is an easy job.
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions