Tips on fixing leaking fuel injector (around o-ring) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Tips on fixing leaking fuel injector (around o-ring)

The fuel injector closest to the pressure regulator is leaking around the o-rings (which are new). When I fully seat it in the rail, it will leak at the intake and vice-versa. I am going to see what I can do to get the fuel rail to sit a little lower as well as remove the injector and replace it's o-rings but if any of you have a tip while it is off, I would appreciate hearing it.

I will also check the #8 plug and make sure it is getting fuel (make sure that port is not blocked causing it to over pressurize as well as check the injector and make sure it is not staying open--I suppose those could lead to that as well...any other tips?

Thanks!

Otherwise, the truck is running great---usually gremlins but I will sort them all out. Good to have it rolling around, at least!

EDIT-- Just checked the plug, it looks perfect, so I know it is getting proper fuel.

Is there a sealing compound I could put on the o-rings that would help a bit, like a smidge of hylomar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Hi Chris,

I used a dab of 90 wt gear oil on each o-ring to lubricate it before installation. I did have one that was tougher then the rest, it leaked after the first and second install. After removing the o-ring I discovered it had torn.

I ended up buying a replacement, and when I went to install it, everything went together fine.

Hope this helps.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Jegs has the o ring kit if you are going to the trouble of replacing one, you might as well do 'em all. Use some dish soap to lube them when seating them.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Have you checked the cups on on the rail?
Last year when I replaced the injectors on my Disco I had to get a new fuel rail. The cups were rusty inside and even after trying to polish them I still couldn't get a seal on several.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I fixed it (I hope) last night, but it was raining so I have not really had a chance to check everything out and do a good test drive and get the engine hot. From my short test drive, it appears fixed. I had bought an engine overhaul kit a couple years back and that had a set of 0-rings so I just used a pair from that. The injectors were just rebuilt so they all have new o-rings on them and quite frankly the ones I replaced looked new.

My fuel rail cups are a little rough but I cleaned them up fairly good before reinstall. I am sure that played a part in it. I am using injectors from a Mustang (bosch 4-pintle design) and I wish they were just a hair longer. I have them in my RRC as well and you can get them to sit but a 1/8-1/4" taller would be nice. We will see. I did add just a ultra light film of hylomar and then a touch of oil when I reseated that one--we will see. So far, so good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel