Tip: 32mm fan wrench - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 26th, 2005, 12:07 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Tip: 32mm fan wrench

For those of us in the US, if you have an REI outdoor supply, they carry a 32mm wrench in their bicycle repair section, almost exactly like the LR version for removing the fan assembly. I got mine for $10. I did my water pump replacement this weekend and it made it easier, if 'easier' can be applied to the water pump job. Thanks Rod for the gasket!

I also need to work on my AC tensioner pulley, I found an article that had the NAPA part number for bearings, but could not get to any pics. Is it as easy as removing it and pressing the bearings on and off?

thanks,
Bill
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

How in the hell, did you get a gasket on that water pump!
Just wondering in what order with bolts first or wtf. I'm kinda new at this thing and I could barely get it on there without it (just some Hylomar) last weekend.
I will get that wrench too. thanks
Old September 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Actually on my 95, there were 2 brass pins that you just hung it on on the engine side, placed the new water pump over it, added hylomar to the bolts, snugged them by hand and then torqued them down. I considered the whole job a serious pain for a water pump replacement. We had to take all the belts off, and there were a lot of brackets that use the water pump bolts on the right hand side. We also put all the bolts through the holes one the new water pump to remember which ones went where.

I have read several threads that say allow the better part of a day to do it, and having never done one before, it took a buddy and me about 4-5 hours.

It was great fun though.
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey William, I know what you are talking about, and I am pretty sure you should be able to just press it in and out. If the pully gets messed up I have one sitting around you can have if you take pics along the way

??? Michael it should go on pretty easy with the gasket, most of the bolts should be long enough to accommodate it without to much fuss. Are you sure the bolts went back in the correct spots? They are different lenghts and need to go back into the correct spot.
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:51 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Yea, I think I pulled the fan, two belts and off and a couple other pieces. When I pulled each bolt out, I put it in the respective place in the new pump. Then when i got the old pump out, I matched the new bolts up to the old ones, and put the new ones in the old pump on the floor. A nice tip - Thanks D90 Source! Everything is cool.
Then came the gasket which was not flat and that fuckin goo.
I also remember a plate on the bottom right of the pump (opposite the hose on the bottom where some of the long bolts go) that made me need to slide the pump in.
It took me all day.
Does sweat make my electronics bite it?
The guy from the Palm Beach Rover called today and they said they were on it (no spark from coil) and haden't figured it out yet. Nice of him to leave me a message, I thought. But, oh shit!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan