Tinted windows issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
Tinted windows issues

The one thing I know NOTHING about is tinting windows or in my case untinting a window. Problem:: over the years the tinted windows on the 90 have started to unstick. In my case i was off-road in Moab and I dropped the back end off a ledge, caught teh back bumper and the impact sent the third brake light dangling. When it came off it took the tint with it. I peeled the tinted sticker off the back window and reglued the brake light but not there is this film on the window that i can't get off. I've tried a razor, turpentine, paint remover, I even think my girlfriend through nail polish remover on it (love when they work on the truck). NO matter what i do the rear window just looks foggy. Is there any tricks to this that I should know about? Dealer just wants to replace the glass all together. If they do this I'm sure they will somehow find a need for new defroster, brake light, wiring, wiper motor and latch, so I don't want to do that. Any ideas regarding chemicals to remove it? I guess i could take it to a window tinting place and get their 2 cents...

Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Re-Fendered 90
Goof-off. If that doesn't work, you need new glass. I hope it does!

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks www.rovertracks.com
PSC www.racesteering.com
DJ Safety www.djsafety.com
West Coast Rovers www.westcoastrovers.com
Reel Driveline www.reeldriveline.com

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
Did some digging.... I think in this case the dealership may be giving you the best option unfortunately.

From what this guy is saying, there is two layers to the tint and you've only gotten one of them off. But the 2nd one is much tougher and will probably take the defroster lines with it. But they do give a few suggestions that you might want to try first. I'm a bit partial to the steam idea in your situation.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Kevin Houseal
1994 NAS D-90
Use tintdudes suggestions if you want to try it yourself, trash bag, heat, etc. But as you've removed the outer half of the poly you've got a battle. And nicking the defroster wires will ruin them. I took mine to a tint shop and paid them to remove it, I think it ran around $50 to have three pieces of glass stripped. Then I had it retinted there also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

window, windows