Timing belt tensioner fail... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2016, 11:51 AM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

Timing belt tensioner fail...

So a short while ago I had a shop do my timing belt on my 300Tdi. They said something about the timing belt slipping. Well it turns out they actually assembled the tensioner wrong. It came loose. The new timing belt came off and things went crunch.

The shop said they put a camera down in the top end and saw no damage. They replaced all of the pushrods and a few of the lifters and put another timing belt on. I have read a ton online and it sounds like deeper engine damage is rare, but I wanted to check here and see what say you.

When a timing belt breaks/comes off at 60mph climbing a hill what are the chances of deeper engine damage? It seems to be running fine now. I am just trying to stop doubting what has been done. Even after putting the timing belt back on they messed up several small details that really makes me wonder.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

There is definitely a chance of a bent connecting rod if a Valve got in the way of a piston Inna serious way

Butnitnwould be down on power and making a racket
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:59 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
You lost me at -

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaeth View Post
..... at 60mph climbing a hill.
I have no experience in this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I've never heard of a rod bending. Bent rods I've seen are for hydrolocking. The pushrods are purposely weak to take the damage.

The bigger worry is that they used the right parts and did the assembly correctly.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I've never heard of a rod bending. Bent rods I've seen are for hydrolocking. The pushrods are purposely weak to take the damage.

The bigger worry is that they used the right parts and did the assembly correctly.
+2 on this.

I have seen one where I had to pull the push rods with a slide hammer because a claw hammer couldn't get them out, ie completely pretzeled up. I put the truck back together and its been on the road for three years now. Like John says, if the shop screwed the pooch the first time with a routine maint item, my worry would be on the workmanship of the repair.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 11th, 2016, 04:33 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
How the heck do you assemble the tensioner wrong? I mean, really! That's a talent for sure!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 11th, 2016, 07:17 PM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

Believe my I have the same concerns as you guys on the quality of the FIX. It sounds like the internals should be good. I have been thinking about redoing the timing belt and making sure all of that is correct.

I don't know how they messed it up but I only got about 10 miles from the shop when it let go. They then gave me some story about the timing slipping, which made no sense to me and then finally they said that the tensioner was installed wrong and came loose. It was a Rover specialty shop with glowing reviews and fancy Jaguars and Rolls Royces sitting around.

Thanks for the info. This was what I had came up with in searching online but thought I would double check it with you guys here.
Old July 12th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I've first hand seen a bend rod in a 524td due to a Valve getting sandwiched between the head and the piston at nearly a right angle. Valve face was Imbedded in the dome of the combustion chamber.

These cars had forged cranks but standard rods

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions