Time to kill of the carpet and seats... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM
KMarshall
Kevin Marshall
1993 NAS D110

Time to kill of the carpet and seats...

Hi All, After a couple years of the 95 D-90 HT leaking in rain and my tromping in snow, it smells pretty irrecoverably bad. And the seat foam is breaking down and dropping popcorn all over the place. I'd like to replace the carpet,shift boots, and e-brake boots with something a bit more water & mud resistant. Any suggestions on rubber kits that won't rust underneath or something like astroturf ? I'd rather not go to the Line-X on the interior but could be persuaded.

On the seats, I'd liek to get something that holds my butt in better while off road, but is not hard to get in and out of like a full on race seat. I also am 6'3", so a seat that clears the roll bar when scooted all the way back. What have you guys done for seat replacements? I only saw a corbeau repalcement in the forum archives .

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Ditch the carpets and go with an all rubber interior. I believe the all soft tops have this set-up. The front floor mats, tunnel cover, lever boots, seat box cover, and the rear mat all can be purchased through Rovers North. As far as rusting, the rubber will not allow the surfaces underneath to "breath". I'd just pull out all the mats and it dry out. I believe the only area to be concerned about rust inside would be the lower bulkhead surfaces where it fastens to the aluminum floorboards and the tunnel cover and the bottom tailgate strike plate (although it is galv, I seen them rust out).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:03 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Another option is truck bedliner paint, or rhino-line, or line-x, or whatever else they call them now...
I've seen a D90 with this stuff done up inside, and its pretty bulletproof. On top of that, its repairable...if you do manage to scrape some of it off. That..and then throw on the rubber matts, and you're good to go.
Of course, MY D90 does leak...(ya right!)

as far as seats...the previous owner put in Recaro seats in mine. I guess they work ok, but I have a big butt, and it just didnt feel good having those boltsters there. I have since gone back to land rover stock seats..and love them.

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I highly recommend the Line-X. I had the interior of a customers 110 Line-X'd and it turned out fantastic. I will be doing my D90 as soon as time permits.
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:22 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Perhaps you should try new seat foam first. If your old seat is disentegrating, the shape will flatten and offer less support. This is a lot cheaper than replacing seats. Not to mention you can avoid something looking out of place.
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I have an SW, does anyone have carpet sets for the entire interior? My rear ones are in pretty sad shape and I removed them after I dynamat'ed the entire inside. Does RN or RDS carry that stuff?
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

My rubber interior is falling apart

I am also getting excited about the lineX option as my rubber and glued on stuff is breaking down and starting to look worse then it would if I simply ripped it all out. I like the lineX or rino liner option as it allows you to spray out the inside of your truck without as much of a rust worry. I would really suggest that instead of the rubber setup that comes with the ST. The seats of my truck are breaking down as well. I am out of ideas for that one though.

RickM
Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

rhino it ... i love mine
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
I have an SW, does anyone have carpet sets for the entire interior? My rear ones are in pretty sad shape and I removed them after I dynamat'ed the entire inside. Does RN or RDS carry that stuff?
Carpet is available. RN has it. I would use the ST Rear rubber and replace the front only....

EwS
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

For what it's worth. About 4 years ago I researched this very issue. I have a 97 SW and had the Reflex Lining put in. I choose this lining for a couple of reasons; first it is a better insulator opposed to Rhino and LineX, both sound and temperature. It will not fade (not really an issue for me because of the hard-top but nonetheless). And nothing slides on it, coolers, my dog’s paws, etc... Over the years I have been very impressed with it, softer than the competition but guaranteed not to chip or bust. Lastly, the entire inside of my truck was done for $200, the prices may be better for other liners now but that was a fraction of what I could have spent. 3M did a great job with this stuff. gh
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

$200 - I heard about $600 for Rhino and Linex. Sounds like a deal.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

200 sounds fantastic

I also have had quotes of as high as $500 for the rino lining. I would love to know who was going to charge 200.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seats