Time for a proft shaft rebuild? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2017, 08:35 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Time for a proft shaft rebuild?

Don't judge, I'm new at this mechanical stuff...

So I decided to grease my u-joints for the first time since doing my own oil changes (~12 mo) Here's what I found:

1. Both the front and rear shaft have a u-joint with one Zerk missing and one u-joint with a Zerk in place. There is a hole on the missing ones where it looks like a nipple might have broke off.

2. The spline Zerk seemed to take grease fine and squirted out of the rubber boot. However, for the u-joint Zerks - I struggled to get them to take grease. I unscrewed the zerk and cleaned it - and confirmed it would take grease when it was off the uj. However, when I put it back on - it seemed to take grease for a bit then squirted out of the gun nozzle/fitting vs. coming out somewhere else.

It's my first time using a grease gun, and I got this one from Amazon and am using the rigid connector and pushing hard against the Zerk. Not sure if this is normal for greasing a uj.

3. There doesn't seem to be any play in the joints - all seems solid.

So... what would you guys do - should I try and extract the broken Zerks, replace & re-grease. Or would you rebuild the shaft with all new UJ's at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2017, 05:34 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Well, so no one else jumped on this grenade...

If it works, donít fix it comes to mind. No play, no missing parts... may want to just leave it.

If you DO want to change, it is a job you can do most of in your driveway. The most important thing is to use a paint pen/sharpie and mark where shafts mate to yokes so it goes back in just like it came out. Especially on slip/sliding joints.

You may be able to press out UJs with vise, or take to local garage or machine shop.

https://www.landroverworkshop.com/di...ft-front_52611

https://www.landroverworkshop.com/di...aft-rear_52612

Grease gun should slip-fit onto zerk, and not have to be held in pressure onto zerk. Add grease until boot shows slight movement. You do not really want grease to come squirting out of seal.

Did you also lube all other zerks? Good time to do it. See if you have a zerk on rear suspension top link ball joint. Thatís a fun one!
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:31 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Thanks. I think my first line of defense will be to replace the broken zerk and keep a close eye on the u-joints for deterioration, and go from there. If is ain't broke - don't fix it, right?

There are other zerks under there... I'll have to hunt around when the rain stops.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild