Time for a new clutch...I think. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:36 PM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

Time for a new clutch...I think.

As many of you have realized, any time you stop to work on your truck you'll discover three more things to do. After finally getting mine running this past weekend, I discovered that the clutch is slipping.

This truck is new to me too, and it's my first Defender so I'm trying to figure out what the possible problems are before I sit down and order parts.

First, I noticed that the clutch pedal has very "off or on" feel to it. When I press the clutch and slowly easy my foot up, it doesn't really lift up smoothly but then suddenly pops up. At first I thought it was a bad clutch pedal spring but replacing that didn't help. The upward travel of the clutch is not smooth/constant at all.

Then when driving it, I noticed that the friction point was almost at the very top of the pedal's travel. I also had a couple of rough gear shifts from first to second and to third. Didn't get past third very often on my test drive.

In reverse, The truck almost didn't want to move until, again, the clutch was nearly completely released. The truck also didn't pull away from stop very well despite having a strong engine. I felt the clutch slipping.

Question: will replacing the clutch also solve the feedback I'm mentioning with the clutch pedal? I expect the friction point to improve but I don't have a bench mark of where that point should be or how the clutch pedal should feel.

Could anything else be causing what I'm describing?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:15 AM
Marks Landy
Mark
1985 90 CSW 200TDI

Have a look at your master cylinder, adjusting your bite point lower down is worth a try.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:17 AM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

Thanks for the tips. As I've research the issue some more I've come across the proline vs genuine parts debate. I understand that proline is ok for non critical parts. I take it that clutch and pressure plate don't fall in this category. Anyone have any issues with proline parts for this application?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions