Tilting Front end - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Question Tilting Front end

Hi All

I am rebuilding A short-wheel base land rover & I am hoping to set it up with a tilting front end (see pic) but I do not know how to go about it.
Can anyone help me out on to go about setting this up ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kim's Photos 057.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	4326  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I hjave often thought about this setup myself! You need to first remove anything bolted to the wings , then the hood nd fenders will need some type of rame to support themselfs. Attach a few hinges to the frame and you should be good. You may want to check out http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ it is a forum from down under
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:55 AM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. the supporting struts & hinging I think I have got worked out but the hood & fenders seems to want to twisted at the free end and locking it down has got me stumped

Feraltracker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2005, 11:42 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You'll have to build a frame (Maike said this but had a typo) to hold the whole assembly rigid.
Old November 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

yes you will also nee to modify the hood striker plate too, It has two sturuts bolted to the underneath which mount to the chassis to give it strenght. But if you want the whole lot to tip forward they will have to come off
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:12 PM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Question

Hi Ian & John

Thank you for the input , I have bolted the front end together on the shed floor to see were I need to strengthen it, I am looking at using 1/2 inch aluminium angle at the panel joint to strengthen them and angle popriveted around outer edges of the wheel arche panels, hood & front panel, then weld or braze them together for strength, I am looking at putting 1/2 inch channel around the top & sides of the bulkhead for frontend slot down into when closed.
Is that the way to go or can you guys see a better way of doing it

Feraltracker
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:47 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

Sounds OK to me mate. As you have the whole lot already on the ground it should be easy to check when its ridgid enough. Only comment I could make is that when the wings front panel and hood are all fixed together ther is quite a bit of weight in that lot and you may need to look at fitting some gas struts to make lifting the hood easier.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Ian

It has been really lot easier to work on the front panels when they are on the ground & I have set of heavy duty gas struts for the job.
The only thing that has me stumped is how to lock it down into place.

Feraltracker
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:03 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

I cant see why you couldn't use the catch assembly that was originally fitted to the front of the hood albeit you will have to make up a mounting for it to fit the bulkhead or alternatively some alloy panel holders or fasteners
Attached Images

Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Might want to try and use the kind of straps that are used on Hummers to hold the hood down. Or dare I say it Jeep style hold downs.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:46 AM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Ian & Tyler

Ian I like the look of these alloy fasteners/panel holders who makes them & what are they called ?
Tyler what do the Hummer straps Look like, we see very very few Hummers in this country

Feraltracker
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:48 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

They are called panel fasteners I believe they are made by a company called Krontec, found them on a UK site which supplies race and rally parts Demon Tweeks, you should be able to source them un the US though through a race parts supplier I would have thought

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...code=KRNBP02/B
and krontecs website

http://www.krontec.com/
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Since this is not in Misc, I will leave my personal aesthetic rant out of this, and instead just warn about two concerns I would have with this set up. The first being engine compartment access and that you may want to have an easy off pinned hinge so the whole thing could come off (which would take two people...)--it just seems like you would be battling this setup constantly.
Secondly, if you plan on off roading your rig (although maybe you are doing it for show?) and you get a dent in the front wing, you may have trouble opening/closing that set up again, so an independent frame work that operates on the hinges and attaching the skins afterwords seems prudent.

Why go with something like this makes me curiouis.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:26 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Chris, That setup looks to be a Rally/speed/open country/Dakkar type setup with the twin shocks and spring setup rather than slow wheeling duty. The forward tilting hood would allow access to all the suspension and engine components a lot faster and easier than the traditional hood. If Kim were to do the hood unit in fiberglass, dents would not be an issue, and cracks are fixed with duct tape and a saw until the next race. This should reduce the weight issues of the whole unit.

Of course that just what it looks like to me, I could be wrong and he could be building a show truck. LOL

Follow-up Post:

Well, lets ask... Kim, what is the truck going to be used for?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have seen this setup used in Dakar/ralley type setups and it looked to work VERY well wehn they stopped on in the midle of nowwhere and needed to work on something fast. TO me it makes allot of sence as you can quickly tilt up the body and get it out of the way, I would want it to go up 90* that would leave more then enough room to get to everything, think about how much reaching over the fenders you do now. Also consider for us with taller 90s we are doing a bit more reaching over the fender!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Guys

WOW what have I started , Firstly Ian thanks for the info I will see if I can get hold of them in Australia, I think they might do the trick.
Chris 1 I will be alone most of the time ( if you do not count the dogs ) when I am using this rig so a
easy off pin hinge is no good, I have the hood & wings bolt together in the shed & it is not that heavy, I think it about 40 to 50 kgs & with the heavy duty gas struts I can not see a problem.
This is not a show pony it will be one of my work rigs, it will spend most of it time offroad but there will be no heavy stuff, The reason I want to set it up this way is easy access, I am not the tallest guy in the world & if I have to do something under the bonnet I want to get at everything easly & not have to crawl in & out of the engine bay.
Chris 2 This rig will be one of my work rigs, It will be short wheel based open top truck cab setup will a small alloy tray were my tracker/ rig dogs will caged or stand & a small amount of gear
Lastly I would like thank all you guys for your imput you have a great help in working this setup out .

Feraltracker
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
cdmbrennan
Chris Brennan

You might also consider flipping the bonnet up the other way- seems a good deal easier. Check out this link http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.flipfront.html - much easier to work on the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flipup.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	4344  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Chris

You would think it would be & I did looks at doing it that but when I sat down in the shed it worked out about the same if not a little harder.
The reinforcing was the same, so was the hinging & locking it down, the two big problems were when flipping back the highest point was 7 1/2 feet in the air but with flipping forward it was only 5 1/2 feet, the second problem was finding gas struts that long to do the job.
there was one other small problem with it flipping back, you still did not have full access to the engine becourse of the wheel arch panels sticking out over the engine bay by 2 foot at 4 1/2 feet above the ground, you would have to squeeze between it & front wheel to get to the engine.

Feraltracker
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:46 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Picture of the hummer style latch http://www.wreckedexotics.com/hummer...0307_001.shtml
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 24th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Tyler

Thank you for the info, I will check the site out.

Feraltracker

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions