Tightening front damper nut - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 6th, 2016, 02:40 PM
PJambo
Parker
1987 110

Tightening front damper nut

I've replaced the front dampers, but can only tighten the top nut into the stock turret so much before the whole damper starts spinning. It is tightened less than I'd like it to be.

The issue is that I can't get a solid handle on the upper portion of the damper while I tighten the nut. The upper portion doesn't peek out of the turret by much and the coil prevents me from threading my hand up into the turret. I could try a chain wrench, but it seems the only place to fit it is on the most delicate part of the damper. Am I missing something obvious?

I could replace turrets with tubular turrets, but trying to avoid that for now if someone has another solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It depends on the brand, but there is usually something on the stud to put a wrench on and it is suitable for tightening the nut. It usually does not work for loosening, but okay for tightening.

If that is gone/missing, then water pump pliers are the best choice (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-and-groove_pliers), IME. Be careful, as on most shocks, the upper part is just a thin mud shield.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2016, 02:54 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJambo View Post
I've replaced the front dampers, but can only tighten the top nut into the stock turret so much before the whole damper starts spinning. It is tightened less than I'd like it to be.

The issue is that I can't get a solid handle on the upper portion of the damper while I tighten the nut. The upper portion doesn't peek out of the turret by much and the coil prevents me from threading my hand up into the turret. I could try a chain wrench, but it seems the only place to fit it is on the most delicate part of the damper. Am I missing something obvious?

I could replace turrets with tubular turrets, but trying to avoid that for now if someone has another solution.
It doesn't have 2 flat spots on the top of the shaft? Or an Allen head hole in the top? What shock brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2016, 04:34 PM
deanclean
Ryan Stevens
1995 Defender 300tdi

I just replaced mine yesterday. On the end that the two nuts go on there is a square tip. You can Put a crescent wrench on that tip or vice grips or whatever you want to get a grip then tighten the nut as much as you like. My issue was not knowing how tight to do it up
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:52 PM
PJambo
Parker
1987 110

Great, thanks all for the replies. My shocks do indeed have the square tip, and I was able to further tighten the top nuts. Thanks again for the help!
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:36 AM
deanclean
Ryan Stevens
1995 Defender 300tdi

Glad it worked out. I am very new to defenders (only had mine for two weeks or so) this is the first post I was actually able to help someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht