Tie Rod/Track Rod joint removal....aarrrrghh - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

Tie Rod/Track Rod joint removal....aarrrrghh

When doing my brakes I noticed that one of my tie rod ends was in bad shape, so I ordered a new set figuring that I may as well replace all 3 while I'm at it. I searched the forum and got all the good info about measuring the rods/building a jig and/or counting threads. So now I'm all set to make this "easy" fix. Except for one thing:

How the H do I get the ball joints out of the tubes? I'm sensing the original install may have been in 1984 and taking a wild guess that anti-seize wasn't used. I'm pondering using C4, but I think that might mess things up down the road. My other option at this point involves a rope with a noose. Both would probably annoy the wife.

Any tricks to this?

Edited: The answer is carefully directed will-power. Moderator, you can delete this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Found a big ass pipe wrench I guess?
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

Pipe wrench + heat = loose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have had to heat them with a torch to unscrew in the past on some old trucks.. May be a good time to upgrade to HD rods while replacing the joints..
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Some judicious use of a large hammer on the tube in the region where the joint screws into the tube shakes things loose pretty well. then put the rod in the vise and twist the joint with a large ring spannet hooked over the tapered section.
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
..May be a good time to upgrade to HD rods while replacing the joints..
I'm sure Rovertracks will see my $$ sooner rather than later, but I didn't think about this ahead of time. Fortunately now everything is anti-seized, so next time should be a cinch.

Anyone using the high clearance rod? Worth the extra $100?

Also - another question out of curiosity. One of the replacement ends (#RTC5870) that I got has a nipple on it, but my original did not. The other new one (#RTC5869) does not. Whats up with that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack