Tie Rod End options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 12th, 2006, 09:12 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Tie Rod End options

I'm sure this is another naive question, but are there different types of tie rod ends that I can buy? I have a new (to me) Rockware track rod and want to replace the rod ends before I install. Sources to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I got mine from George at RDS--they are fine quality, great price. Make sure you know the current thread hand (left or right...).
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I got mine from DAP, they are grease able
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I curious about the greesable ones... but I chose RDS and kept it stock. I heard the greesable ones are not sealed as tightly. Has anyone tapped and put a grease nippel inthe LR ball joints?

On this topic... where can you purchase the ball joint removal tool featured in the manual? I have the forks which work fine but I worry about f#$ng up the boot every time.
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

First and foremost, when you install the ball joints, use anti-sieze on the taper. Second, when removing ball joints, I have never used a "special tool" nor do I use the forks (very, very rarely). I just pound on the side of the "hole" that the ball joint goes into--it pops right out. Sometimes I have to pound for 15 or 20 times, but it will come. On stuborn ones, I put a little out pressure on the ball joint and then tap/pound on it. I never hit the ball joint, I never hit the threaded portion. Since the ball joint is tapered, all you want to do is "vibrate" it loose. And pound only on the side of what the joint goes into. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever used a fork.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions