Defender Source Forum banner

Ticking Noise Getting Worse

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  minch77 
#1 ·
The ticking noise came back and recently went from subtle to constant and noticeable---not too loud. It seemed to be noticeable only when at idle but now it corresponds with the increase in RPMs until a certain point. From what I could tell the ticking comes from the passenger side valve cover so I took the cover off. The noise is most noticeable in the front where the #2 spark plug wire goes---could it be the rocker arms, push rods?

I took the rocker assembly off, took the push rods out, cleaned them, oiled everything, and replaced it all and it still ticks like before. From what I could see everything looked OK when I removed it---the push rods rolled straight, the arms "looked" OK, is there something about their condition that I may have overlooked?

One more thing---While the engine was idling I pulled the #2 spark plug wire off and it sounded like the ticking stopped. What do you think about that? Would that rule out the rocker arms, push rods, valve springs, etc..?

I was due to change the plugs so I changed them all and the wires too. Still ticking. I don't think it is an exhaust leak based on what I have seen.

See less See more
#4 ·
Could be a stuck lifter--other possibilities are worn rocker arms (I had this on my DII and changing them solved the issue) or a cracked or loose exhaust header. I thought my D90 had a cracked header (from a ticking) and it turned out that the bolts on from the manifold to the block had worked loose. Tightened them, problem solved. Cracked exhaust manifolds are not that uncommon and happened a bit with the disco II's particularly on passenger side (but less common on D90's).

First things first, check the manifold bolts. Then take a piece of hose with one side to your ear and the other side to see if the ticking is indeed internal or external. If external around the manifold, then probably not lifter. Since noise goes away with #2 plug out, this would also make me lean toward bolts at #2 manifold are loose.

Noises travel---super hard to deduce. Stuck lifters happen quite a bit too....

Lastly, and this one also happened to me with my first D90 engine, is the dreaded slipped cylinder--sometimes it would tick and it slipped up and down--but it also allowed exhaust gas into the coolant (there is a test for that) and I over heated at times. I'd start with the above more common issues--but if they don't yield any results, then it is also possible...

#6 ·
Push Rods

Im using 15W-40. I attached a short video. I felt around the exhaust manifold this morning when the engine was cold and didnt feel any exhaust escaping; however, I will try the bolts and see if that works. I agree the noise is tricky to pinpoint.

Do you think changing the push rods out would help? As I watch the rods moving some seem to spin as the rocker arm travels while others dont. Does that mean anything?

#7 ·
Davis -your manifold bolt suggestion revealed loose bolts on both sides of the engine! They were rusty and the tabs were pushed in so I was eager to dismiss the idea but once I put a socket on there, it turned 3 complete times. I never felt any pressure coming out but the ticking is completely gone now. I have had this rover since 1999 and while I have changed the exhaust from the headers back, I have never had a reason to ever mess with the manifold bolts. Thanks a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.