Ticking noise from steering columb or dash... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Drjeggle
Rudi
2011 Defender Puma

Ticking noise from steering columb or dash...

Hi guys.
I've had my Defender Puma since 2011. I had quite a few issues with it which have now been solved but I've always noticed a ticking noise coming from the dash or steering columb. It comes and goes. This morning when I turned my key in the ignition to heat the coils, it was really loud, louder than it's been. It made the noise for the entire drive to work. When I got to work, it kept ticking even after the key had been removed.
Please, if anyone has any idea what this noise might be, please let me know!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Bad relay jumps to mind

Turn signals on!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Drjeggle
Rudi
2011 Defender Puma

I don't think it has anything to do with my turning signal... Not sure what you meant there...? Bad relay, is that an easy fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Since this happened when you had just powered things up I would also suspect a relay. You may have a few relays behind the gauge pack. (Like the older Defenders) If you can get your hand on them you can feel which one is causing the problem. They just plug in and then pull out, easy to replace.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash