Ticking noise at idle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2005, 04:30 AM
thug1313
Brian Ellis
Sold it!

Ticking noise at idle

Hey all!
I just got new oil cooler lines, 2 new belts and the timing adjusted. Now I have a light ticking noise at idle coming from the engine. I've got sufficent oil level, so my first guess is oil pressure, right? Is there an adjustment port/valve, because the manual seems to only indicate remove/inspect/rebuild the oil pump.
In my case that probably means replace the pump. $$$$

Is this damaging to the engine? I need to drive it about an hour to get back to the place.
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2005, 10:36 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

What oil are you running? You may need to go a little heavier, it's much easier to try that then to rebuild the pump. The pump isn't that hard to rebuild, just 8 12 point 8mm bolts holding it on, then pull the 2 gears out pack them with vasoline replace some of the other parts to the pump throw on a new gasket and put it back on. You can get a rebuild kit from Northeast British Parts or DAP.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
thug1313
Brian Ellis
Sold it!

Thanks, Mike
SO there is no adjustment valve, to increase or decrease pressure, right? It's a set setting, either working or not? Also could a valve or lifter inside the engine be doing this? I never had the noise before (the above listed servicing).
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

There is a spring inside the pump that regulates pressure. If the spring is bad or getting on it's way it may hold less pressure, but your oil pressure light should come on if it gets too low.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Check the exhast manifold bolts first, they loosen easily and can cause a ticking.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:13 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Anyone know the torque specs on the exhaust manifold bolts?
Thanks,
Eric
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
thug1313
Brian Ellis
Sold it!

Curiously, the ticking noise began when I got new exhaust manifold gaskets installed (this past weekend). One side had a hole in it. So both sides are tight and new. Mechanic thinks it might be a loose cam washer, on the front of the block which he said was to be replaced as a recall item back in the 1990's. Land Rover said I had no open recalls against my VIN. We both agree the oil pressure is fine (or I'd get the light).

The ticking seems to get going when the oil heats up, not right at first. So I will put in some heavier weight oil. Any thoughts on Lucas Oil Stabilizer as an additive in a D-90? I feel thicker oil may only be camoflauging the problem, if it works. ????
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

FYI, I had an exhaust manifold gasket leak on my Disco that sounded exactly like a bad engine knock. 'may want to check that the gasket was installed properly.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:55 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I had a tick that turned out to be a crack in the top of the Y, right at the manifold. Welded it up and tick disappeared.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Get a piece of conduit a couple feet long and 1/2 inch in diameter and listen around the engine to isolate the tick. It very well could be an exhaust leak - I've got one myself. The bolts look so rusty it scared the mechanic away from replacing my exhaust manifold gasket when he did my new exhaust...

If you are really worried about oil pressure you could run a mechanical gauge - the electric gauges are not worth a damn and idiot lights are just that - it's idiotic to wait until they light up to address the problem I plan to install a T adapter and run the idiot light and a mechanical gauge -- just in case something bad happens and I can't/don't see the gauge....
Old March 5th, 2005, 12:11 AM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Here's my 2cents on the ticking sound. When i bought my 97 SW it had a noticeable ticking sound that seemed to eminate from the passenger side. Turns out the manifold was missing a stud, po broke it off, drilled out and put bolt with nut, needless to say it sounded like it was coming from the engine. Installed new gaskets and manifold figured i'd fixed it and shortly after warm up the sound came back . Bought a stethoscope and started listening. Long story short, the last two rockers on the passenger side were very sloppy, i could lift the rockers and turn them ever so slightly. pulled the rocker shaft and disassembled to discover the shaft was very worn. apparently this is caused by poor oil/lack of changes. Installed new rocker shafts, ticking gone.
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
QUEST
Steven Gimbel
1994 D90

I had the same thing happen and it was the manifold gasket on one side- very easy to change and the ticking should stop- good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle