Tickford Top Pix - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question Tickford Top Pix

I am looking for some close-up pix of how the side windows roll up and where the strap attaches to the top. I beleive that there are two straps that keep the rolled up window in place...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Yup, straps hang down from the inside of the top, wrap around the rolled up windows and snap back to the outside on the other side of where they attach (if that makes sense). No pics, I turned mine into a surrey a couple of years ago.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Didn't the tickford tops only come on the 94's?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Yup, straps hang down from the inside of the top, wrap around the rolled up windows and snap back to the outside on the other side of where they attach (if that makes sense). No pics, I turned mine into a surrey a couple of years ago.
Thanks for the reply. So was is just a regular snap? Did you ever have any problems of it coming undone while driving? I have always liked how the windows of the Tickfords and the Badger 2s rolled up. I am thinking about adding some snaps to my top to roll the windows up. I am getting tired of un-zipping them and storing them...lol

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Never had problems with the snaps coming undone. I did have occasion to see the rolled up windows "migrate" towards the back of the truck after highway driving though. (the inner rolls slide out of the back of the tube)
Edit: I've got some very large size shots from this trip that I can email to you if needed. shoot me an email if so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windrock.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	9832  
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I really liked being able to do that on my top, good idea. A picture would really help here, but essentially the male end of the snap was on the outside of the top on the opposite side of where the strap attached to the *inside* of the top. I had the same experience as Jim, though I found that if I tied the straps in a knot to shorten them, I could roll the windows tighter and it took care of them moving.
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
One problem I have had with my Tickford for years is that when the back window is rolled up and and hot out, it sags in the middle all the way down to the third brake light. I solved that problem by rolling a stiff poster tube up into the window. Works great! I like the rolled up look, it gives more of that safari feel IMO.
Yes Scott, Tickfords were on early '94s only. They had alot of zipper problems with them early on. I actually had mine repaired twice at a local shop (no delar in town at the time) and sent the receipts to LRNA for a refund. Finally when I had a third zipper blow, they sent me a brand new top under warranty. This one had big beefy zippers that have held to this day. I was hoping they were not wanting the old top back, but they did... I absolutely love the Tickfords, heavy duty canvas, alpine windows, and 13 years later mine still looks brand new. Would post some pics, but my brand new #@*%^ dig cam was stolen last weekend!!!!
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I agree with positive sentiments regarding the tickford tops. Over the years I have owned several convertibles, and never had a top last as long. The zippers do fail, but the canvas is quite good. Mine also did the rear window sag thing, even to the point it fell out of the holding straps. IMO, the rear straps were located too far to the outside. Had they been placed a few inches to the inside, this would not happen.

At one time Badger said they could a rebuild on these. As well, I imagine any good canvas worker (think sailboat canopies) could remake this with new windows, better zippers, and such.
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

I sold off my Tickford and bought a badger.... Money very well spent. I can now hear the radio and take cell phone calls while in transit.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

The Tickford tops made by Coventry Hood and Side screen weren't bad tops, just not quite evolved. Poor zippers and snaps were the downfall of that top. I should know as I refurbed over 700 of them for LRNA. After a while it became unprofitable to refurb them. You can only patch them up so much before you throw in the towel.
Now lets move onto rolling up the Bestop windows. That really doesn't work well. If you look at the design of the front 1/4 panel overlapping the leading edge of the side window, and the back edge of the side window overlapping the rear 1/4 panel. You will see that it is for aerodynamics and produces less flapping. The window won't roll up straight and in the end is easier to remove completely.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions