Tickford Top Hardware - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:20 AM
300tdi convert
Michael Giddinge
Late 80s 110 300tdi

Tickford Top Hardware

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Tickford top that's in reportedly great condition but don't know what I need for hardware. To clarify, I'm living in Cairo Egypt and the top is at my father in-law's house in VA so I haven't tried to fit it. I am hoping to pick up anything else that I need while in the US over the holidays.

It's going on a 1988 ROW soft top LR90 that has a locally (Egyptian) made top that I need to replace. I did some searches on Tickford threads finding a few discussions, but nothing that would make me feel comfortable that I'll have everything that I need before going back to Egypt. The defender was originally a soft top, so it has the ROW ST windshield rail, the door gutters for the full roll-up window doors, and a performance protection cage (NAS style) that replaces the hood sticks.

Is there any other hardware that I need snaps aside? Any other advice/thoughts? Does anyone have tech info/manuals on these tops? I couldn't find anything and I have quite a few pdf manuals, both NAS and ROW. Any specific thoughts on snaps (I was going to buy from McMaster Carr with a few other things in need from them).

Thanks in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Taking a bit of a risk trying to put one of those tips on a non NAS vehicle.
Hope all the holes line up!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:55 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Pretty sure the tick fords required the "5 bar snap rail" above the door for it to secure to - it was not made to work with your gutter kit.

You'll also need an "alpine bow" between the b and c pillars. And the "tailgate bar" above the rear tailgate I believe was also applicable for use with the Tickfords. I would search Tickford in the for sale parts section here to get as many photos of one uninstalled and installed.

I have a feeling that you're going to have some difficulties fitting this top on a P&P cage as these were made to work with NAS padded cages, not P&P.

Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
300tdi convert
Michael Giddinge
Late 80s 110 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Pretty sure the tick fords required the "5 bar snap rail" above the door for it to secure to - it was not made to work with your gutter kit.

You'll also need an "alpine bow" between the b and c pillars. And the "tailgate bar" above the rear tailgate I believe was also applicable for use with the Tickfords. I would search Tickford in the for sale parts section here to get as many photos of one uninstalled and installed.

I have a feeling that you're going to have some difficulties fitting this top on a P&P cage as these were made to work with NAS padded cages, not P&P.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the input. I have seen a thread and haven't found it again, where someone suggested that adding a gutter kit would be an improvement to sealing a tickford at the doors, so of course having locked myself into that situation, I'm buying into it until proven wrong. May be some mod involved. Perhaps I can just add snaps to the gutter setup and make an aluminum rail. The top only cost $100 so not too much of a risk in giving it a try.

On the rail above the windshield, I have read a thread and seen pics where the ROW version doesn't curve down as far as the NAS, and the NAS type has a snap on each end. The solution suggested was that you add a snap directly on the windshield frame rather than spend $$ on an NAS rail which I see at around $500.

The PP Cage has a full size bar in place of the alpine bar. The rear loop has adjustment to pull back and add tension to the top if necessary. No idea if it's enough. It's intended to fit inside a ROW top without padding.

I guess I'll find out when I get the top in Cairo on January. I'm planning to ship the 90 back to the US next year on its 25th B-day, at which time I may have a tickford top for sale.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags