Tick Tick Sound after off road trip - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Tick Tick Sound after off road trip

After taking the truck off-road once I'm hearing a clicking sound from just rear of the drive shaft in my 1997 D90.

It only happened every so often after the trip but now it's happening more and more. I can hear it best at idle/neutral and *usually* when I engage into drive it goes away. However lately I can hear it in drive when stopped at a light.

I created a couple videos of it:

20 MB
http:/redir.datag.com/misc/D90_Noise1.MOV

55 MB
http:/redir.datag.com/misc/D90_Noise2.MOV

Much appreciated,

Hutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Ahhh the tic tic. sounds classic exhaust manifold gasket leak to me.
Old September 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Im also guessing exhaust. Either manifold gaskets or the dreaded cat converter rattle. Pay attention to whether it does it more cold vs hot etc to better diagnose.

-Jeff

Jeff,
Can you elaborate on the dreaded cat rattle? I have it when the motor is cold and was assuming that it was time to start hunting down a new y pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
I realized I messed up the links - here they are again - I was missing a slash:

20 MB
http://redir.datag.com/misc/D90_Noise1.MOV

55 MB
http://redir.datag.com/misc/D90_Noise2.MOV

I'll see what I can find - hot or cold. I feel like it doesn't make a difference - it's just there regardless.

I don't *think* the sound is coming from the exhaust. it sounds - gulp - more mechanical and not involving the cats/muffler. It seems more part of the transfer case / gear box - whichever comes first heading back....
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Im also guessing exhaust. Either manifold gaskets or the dreaded cat converter rattle. Pay attention to whether it does it more cold vs hot etc to better diagnose.
Not that I plan on ignoring it forever but assuming it is manifold gaskets is it something I need to drop everything and deal with ASAP or something I can plan to do sometime in the coming months? Zippo experience in this department I'm afraid....

Thanks Jeff,

Hutch
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch View Post
After taking the truck off-road once I'm hearing a clicking sound from just rear of the drive shaft in my 1997 D90.

It only happened every so often after the trip but now it's happening more and more. I can hear it best at idle/neutral and *usually* when I engage into drive it goes away. However lately I can hear it in drive when stopped at a light.

I created a couple videos of it:

20 MB
http:/redir.datag.com/misc/D90_Noise1.MOV

55 MB
http:/redir.datag.com/misc/D90_Noise2.MOV

Much appreciated,

Hutch

Bit of a curve ball suggestion ... but free to fix ... I had a similar situation in which the metal cover for the speedo sensor was slightly bent and vibrating against the frame ... sounded like a cat rattle ... a 2 second fix cured it ... in my case I also had a shot cat but that's another story.

To test for exhaust leaks get a bundle of rag and get someone to hold it over the end of the exhaust pipe... you should he able to hear leaks get louder, more pronounced. In theory you would be able to stall the engine if their are no leaks ... never tried that though.

The cat replacement is best done through a new y-pipe ... I went the path of fixing up a free Y-pipe and to be honest it cost nearly the same when welding and messing about is factored in.
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch View Post
Not that I plan on ignoring it forever but assuming it is manifold gaskets is it something I need to drop everything and deal with ASAP or something I can plan to do sometime in the coming months? Zippo experience in this department I'm afraid....

Thanks Jeff,

Hutch
I ran with a rattly cat for over a year and passed 2 NY state inspections ... exhaust gasket is cheap and could be readily swapped by your local muffler shop ...

------ Follow up post added September 12th, 2010 05:45 PM ------

Finally managed to get the videos to load .... anyone else having problems - press ctrl-0 ( zero) to make the window small enough to press play!

I can say with certainty that this is not gaskets ... it's not regular enough ...
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I ran with a rattly cat for over a year and passed 2 NY state inspections ... exhaust gasket is cheap and could be readily swapped by your local muffler shop ...

------ Follow up post added September 12th, 2010 05:45 PM ------

Finally managed to get the videos to load .... anyone else having problems - press ctrl-0 ( zero) to make the window small enough to press play!

I can say with certainty that this is not gaskets ... it's not regular enough ...
My bad - I think the resolution on the video was set pretty high so the window might be too large for some monitors. You can always right click on the links and select "Save Link As" and then run them from your PC.

Yes it is inconsistent and doesn't sound like its from the y-pipe cats or exhaust. I know sometimes sound sources can fool you but I'm fairly certain it's coming right from where I filmed the 2 video clips.

I had one mechanic that I used for some brake work go under the truck and grabbed the drive shaft while parked and that seemed to silence it. I think he said there is nothing I could do and didn't seem too concerned. However I tried that over the weekend without any luck - the sound seemed to persist no matter how much pressure I used.

If anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Hutch
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:23 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
get a stethoscope and put a tube in the end rather than the disk and you should be able to narrow down the source ... The frequency sounds like a cat rattle .. It sounds high pitched like a bolt rattling round in a large can ... which makes me think it's not something in the gearbox / transfer box about to let go!
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
get a stethoscope and put a tube in the end rather than the disk and you should be able to narrow down the source ... The frequency sounds like a cat rattle .. It sounds high pitched like a bolt rattling round in a large can ... which makes me think it's not something in the gearbox / transfer box about to let go!
I like the direction you are going with this one.... I'd much rather deal with the exhaust system!

I'll try something like this and see where it leads.
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:44 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
And the answer was..... a heat shield! Doh!

It really didn't sound like that but sure enough that's all it was. I had myself convinced it was something else but in hindsight when the noise went away while driving and was only there during idle (more vibration) I guess it makes sense.

Annoying that I didn't find it earlier but happy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
off road, trip