Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) over voltage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:16 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) over voltage

My throttle position sensor is reading consistently 0.57 volts at idle .... this is above the auto claibrate range for a TPS.

I removed the TPS from the plenum and it still has the same reading ... I hoped it would fall to zero ( or close anyway )

I bought a brand new genuine replacement, plugged it in and have exactly the same symptoms.

I was thinking bad connection, but this would introduce resistance, and that would lower the voltage.

Looking for suggestions?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Have you checked the tps readings at the ECM? If you suspect a bad connection, try unplugging the computer and checking the readings at the connector, so you can rule out high resistance and poor connections between the tps and computer. I've heard that the GEMS ECM has a memory as far as adaptive settings go, disconnecting the battery isn't enough. Once the battery is disconnected, connect tge positive and negative leads together for a minute or two, then reconnect and try again. What symptoms are you trying to resolve? Have you checked the basics such as timing?
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:50 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
So I have a tool to read the actual values from the ECU ... The connection isnt bad ... the votage is too high ... equates to 13% which is the limp home value.

It seems like the eCU is substituting a value at the lower end of the range and my tester indicates limp home mode. The truck is perfectly driveable but seems to over fuel ... fuel economy could be better though.

I'll try the ECU clear method to try and do a total reset.

I'm just wondering if something else is causing the ECU to substitute a value??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:55 AM
neilcouvillion
Neil
White 95 Defender 90 SW #230

I am new to the forum, but have read some great info. I was wondering if you were having the same symptoms I am having due a bad TPS.

I have a 95 Defender 90 and over the last month have had intermittent power issues. It seems to take place after the truck has been driven for 15-20 minutes. Between 1st and 2nd gear as well as 2nd and 3rd, it feels as if the engine shuts down and then picks right back up again. I hear no unusual noises and get no check engine light errors. Usually after this takes place, I sit and idle for a few minutes and rev the engine and the truck will shut off. But it starts right back up.

Thanks in Advance.

Neil
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:00 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
doesn't sound like a TPS ... does it throw a code on the reader under the passenger seat?

Check all your air hoses are tight ... especially the plenum one.
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:13 AM
neilcouvillion
Neil
White 95 Defender 90 SW #230

I need to check. I have noticed that I have steadily gotten worse gas mileage over the last few months and then it started with the problems I mentioned, so it could be an issue with the plenum hose. I will also look into the error code.

I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
fuel issues and air issues go hand in hand

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor