Threads on sealing up D90 for warmth? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Threads on sealing up D90 for warmth?

I haven't been able to find any threads on ways to actually seal the doors of my D90...I've got new door seals but there are still major breezes blowin through...anybody got a better brain for appropriate search terms? Ideally, there would be a larger more pliable door seal that would actually work!
thanks
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

George one thought would be to go to your local pick and pull and play around with pulling later model BMW or Mercedes door seals as they may end up being better than original and also try adjusting your door hinges and door latch to ensure your door shuts tighter.
Off the wall if it a soft top, you could try putting some adhesive backed weather strip on the inside of the door top where it meets the soft-top.
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Clay...good ideas...I'm too cold to think straight...will try them...I've got a hard top, believe it or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

George if you have the six piece hardtop, when I installed mine, I got new self adhesive weather strip for one of those hard fiberglass tops on pickup truck and redid the rover hardtop with the weather strip.

Also, there is a company called Cobra seat heat and they sell universal seat heaters which are pretty easy to put on. I did both the front seats and the bench in the rear aaaa toasty . Being in SoCal it really gets cold so you have to stay warm through the use of a sweatshirt and jeans sometimes. :P
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

ya gotta rub it in...trust me, I wonder what the hell I am doing here every winter!
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Me too! I just moved back from CO and this is brutal! I forgot how bad Chicago is. George, you don't happen to have the C. Green Defender I saw a couple weeks ago at the Lowes at Waukegan & Willow with all the SG stuff on it do you?
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

probably me with the lift hatch euro hardtop (POE configuration)...I live in glenview just a couple miles south of there and am redoing my bath vanities so am at Lowes and Home Despot in the Glen a lot lately...not sure I have any SG gear on the 90 though...
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

Well, where to start.
1) Get some rolled up towels and stuff in the dash. not only do they block the wind, but as well help wipe down the windows when fogging up.
2) Go to your local pep boys and buy some 3/4" wide rubber stick on seal. Apply liberally around door seems.
3) Do you rear windows close well? If not, but some removable silicone sealant and seal them up!
4) You can buy some water heater insulation (comes in a roll, is the silver backed stuff. Cut and apply on door under the door cards. You need to cutout where there are no gaps.
5) Seats heaters for sure.
6) Make sure your heater is performing well.
7) Consider a fume curtain to cut off the back if you don't carry passengers in the back. Saves the heat for the front. I would think a series fume curtain would be a close fit with some modifications.
8) If are really can't handle it, then an add on heater (espar or webasto) will provide additional cabin heat.
9) A block heater to at least get a running start.

I have done
- the towels
- the sealant on rear side windows
- heated seats.

Good luck.
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
probably me with the lift hatch euro hardtop (POE configuration)...I live in glenview just a couple miles south of there and am redoing my bath vanities so am at Lowes and Home Despot in the Glen a lot lately...not sure I have any SG gear on the 90 though...
I don't remember if it had the POE top or not, but it definitely had a winch bumper (SG IIRC), SG rock sliders and an SG tire carrier. Must have been another truck.
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Get the second heater. Janey had one that mounted behind the cubby box and there is another one that mounts in the passenger side seat box.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Andrew...not me...don't have goodies like that on my truck...
and thanks to all for the suggestions...sounds like the way to go is just the basics of find the hole and plug em... no special "works better" door seals or anything...just experimentation...
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would add that adjusting your doors can go a long way to making them seal.
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Warmth

I hear everyone complain about there defenders being cold. I do not know why but I actully have to turn my heater down sometimes. Yea it is a hard top, and of course I do work outside in the old so I guess any warmth feels better than none. Either that or everyone that is complaining are wimps. lol
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Len made reference to a fume curtain and Art Vigil just got through making up a some. You may want to check with him to see if he has an extra.
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The only leaks I have trouble with are the ones like degrading sealant in the gutters - I believe you can get even a soft top to seal up quite nicely with the right adjustments. You shouldn't have to apply all kinds of hardware store fixes to get weatherproof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM
ZACHASS
DAVID YOUNG
1995 DEFENDER

drop curtain works best!
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

Looking back I realize I may have been over zealous in putting such a list out. The only thing you really have to worry about (in a NAS) is the left side of your body. Here's your cheapest solution:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TopandBottom.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	16933  
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

I use 1/8th inch plexiglass that I slide in between the top and the roll bar and butt it to the doors which works pretty well.I've also got heated seats and they get HOT !!!
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:04 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Len,
You ain't right in the head . Looks like 1/2 the suit I needed for my 75 MG Midget.
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:49 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Canadian Winters.... ouch

My 1994 NAS D90 leaks air through the vent controls. It blow cold air on my left leg - any way to stop that?

Also, my blower doesn't seem to work too well. If I idle, and put the blower to the "2" position, no air comes from any of the vents... I have to be moving for any air to come through the vents... usually above 40mph before you can feel anything.

On the other hand, the under-seat heater in the passenger seatbox blows really well, but the vent goes to the back seat, and it's not enough to heat the whole cab.

Sigh... I've taken to driving around in down jackets and a wool blanket on my lap.

Don

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90