Thoughts on 97 NAS D90 Undercarriage Rust - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 13th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Raddy
David
1997 D90 ST BELUGA BLACK

Thoughts on 97 NAS D90 Undercarriage Rust

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at a 97 NAS D90 in the south. Owner sent pics & facetimed with me. For most part, truck is clean up top but has rust on undercarriage as shown.

In order to clean it up, I'm guessing i'll have to (want to) replace the rear crossmember (owner had painted outside rear of it but you can still see heavy rust on rest), perhaps replace exhaust as well?

I'd appreciate thoughts on the chassis, diff cover, suspension components, along with anything else. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm going to share my own thoughts on maintenance. Its been skimped on.
My fav measure of PO maintenance is tire quality. This guy put Uniroyal on. Can't get cheaper.
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:50 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Get the crossmember replaced, same with exhaust (probably cat back), spring mounts, springs, diff covers, shocks, damper, battery box.. and either clean up the frame or have someone else do it and paint/waxoyl.. I've seen much worse on other frames but it could get bad pretty quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2016, 07:55 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
It looks like the frame of my LWB from Montreal, Canada. A lot of that is surface rust, but it's going to be a pita to get rid of. Too bad he didn't FaceTime with a hammer :-) It's true that it may be an indication of the lack of maintenance by the PO. Is this a truck for yourself forever or to sell? Budzny has a Richards galvanized 90 chassis ready to roll in your backyard if you feel like taking apart, cleaning it up and putting it all back together but with a brand-new frame. Cost it out. You mention that you're already considering replacing the whole rear crossmember anyways. Other than that, I have no skin in the game with Budzny. It just seems like a reasonable option. Then, once the old chassis is off and set aside, you can assess whether it's worth saving. Get it blasted and dipped and make a bunch of money back.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...sis-71827.html

IMHO, You will get significantly more returns on a rebuilt truck with a new galvanized chassis just for the buyer's peace of mind quotient alone.
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Raddy
David
1997 D90 ST BELUGA BLACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'm going to share my own thoughts on maintenance. Its been skimped on.
My fav measure of PO maintenance is tire quality. This guy put Uniroyal on. Can't get cheaper.
Yes, I appreciate it. Good point regarding tires, and yes i'd throw fresh set of BFG on for sure.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
Get the crossmember replaced, same with exhaust (probably cat back), spring mounts, springs, diff covers, shocks, damper, battery box.. and either clean up the frame or have someone else do it and paint/waxoyl.. I've seen much worse on other frames but it could get bad pretty quickly.
Yes, this is what I was figuring. And I need to find good place in my area who is good with undercoating/protecting chassis. Thank you!

------ Follow up post added July 13th, 2016 09:01 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
It looks like the frame of my LWB from Montreal, Canada. A lot of that is surface rust, but it's going to be a pita to get rid of. Too bad he didn't FaceTime with a hammer :-) Is this a truck for yourself forever or to sell? Budzny has a Richards galvanized 90 chassis ready to roll in your backyard if you feel like taking apart, cleaning it up and putting it all back together but with a brand-new frame. Cost it out. You mention that you're already considering replacing the whole rear crossmember anyways. Other than that, I have no skin in the game with bud. It just seems like a reasonable option.
Yeah, definitely seems like its coming from the north opposed to from the south, right??

I'd be fixing up to sell. But i'd want to make it right for the next owner. Not just paint over everything and call it "perfect." I will be pricing out and weighing costs etc. vs new frame.

Thank you!
Old July 13th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I'd whack around with a hammer first before I committed to a new frame.

That truck looks pretty good the further forward you go...

And, of course, everything depends on price...
If this is a $47k truck, I'd whine about that rust...if its a $30k truck I'd snap it up and head home.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 13th, 2016, 08:22 PM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
What's up with hitch received opening, pic 1? Looks buggered up, like caulking.
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It needs a new fuel tank cradle and I would expect rust holes behind the transmission crossmember, but some POR 15, paint and some waxoyl inside and that chassis has a lot of life left in it unless you are driving in salt. I reserve judgement on the rear crossmember.

I would be more concerned with the bulkhead, but the seat box looks pretty solid.

------ Follow up post added July 13th, 2016 10:40 PM ------

Exhaust looks like an NRP so I would leave it until it gets holes.
Old July 13th, 2016, 11:46 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I think it's actually a magnaflow cat back, but that's just splitting hairs. It's still a great system. And like all exhaust, it's good until it isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1784012420.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	153804  
Old July 14th, 2016, 01:06 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
google the VIN... you should be able to find some basic records on it, including the car was previously registered.

It does look like a car from the north, or lived on beach/surf most of its life.
Old July 14th, 2016, 06:38 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
IMO There's lots of life left in that frame if you have some elbow grease or a good quality shop that will waxoyl it. As mentioned above the other components need attention as well obviously.

This is all good stuff to move the price in your direction. Many will pass on just the pics alone so less competition as well.

Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 14th, 2016, 09:43 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I would CO2 blast that sucker and then POR-15 it as mentioned by evilfij. Then waxoyl the inside. I'm a huge fan of the dry ice blasting because it cleans the rust, oil, dirt, everything off, but you can do it in-situ without any disassembly or harm to soft parts. And there is also no sandy residue.

Old July 14th, 2016, 10:04 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I would CO2 blast that sucker and then POR-15 it as mentioned by evilfij. Then waxoyl the inside. I'm a huge fan of the dry ice blasting because it cleans the rust, oil, dirt, everything off, but you can do it in-situ without any disassembly or harm to soft parts. And there is also no sandy residue.
Can you rent the blaster or do you need to take it somewhere? Intrigued.
Old July 14th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Raddy
David
1997 D90 ST BELUGA BLACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
I'd whack around with a hammer first before I committed to a new frame.

That truck looks pretty good the further forward you go...

And, of course, everything depends on price...
If this is a $47k truck, I'd whine about that rust...if its a $30k truck I'd snap it up and head home.

Yes, if it was either of those prices, that would be much better for room to work with

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpin View Post
What's up with hitch received opening, pic 1? Looks buggered up, like caulking.
Yeah, there was some DIY done here for sure, I know they spray painted it

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It needs a new fuel tank cradle and I would expect rust holes behind the transmission crossmember, but some POR 15, paint and some waxoyl inside and that chassis has a lot of life left in it unless you are driving in salt. I reserve judgement on the rear crossmember.

I would be more concerned with the bulkhead, but the seat box looks pretty solid.

------ Follow up post added July 13th, 2016 10:40 PM ------

Ok thank you very much. Yes I suspect some POR 15 or Waxoyl is definitely in this truck's future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium1330 View Post
google the VIN... you should be able to find some basic records on it, including the car was previously registered.

It does look like a car from the north, or lived on beach/surf most of its life.
Yeah, there isn't anything online and barely anything on the carfax/autocheck unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
IMO There's lots of life left in that frame if you have some elbow grease or a good quality shop that will waxoyl it. As mentioned above the other components need attention as well obviously.

This is all good stuff to move the price in your direction. Many will pass on just the pics alone so less competition as well.

Good Luck.
Yes, I just hope I don't get in over my head haha. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
As someone who extensively researched underbody coating and was almost about to do a POR15 project on my old 4runner. I have to say this dry-ice blasting is new to me and sounds awesome

Quote:
+1 right here
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

That's pretty similar to how mine looked when I bought it. Strip it all down and have it blasted or acid dipped and galvanize it. For the axles it would be easiest to just get a nice pair from a Disco 1. They're the exact same parts except you need to change the diff flange on the rear.
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I don't know about renting the equipment, plus you'd need the thing on a lift.

I've had it done here in Germany prior to waxoyl. This German site has the best before/after depiction I can find:

http://www.carblast.de/trockeneisstrahlen/

Obviously it's in German but I think the video is self explanatory. I think it's the ideal prices for something that doesn't need restoration, but rather a good deep cleaning and overhaul.

Old July 15th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy View Post
Yes, if it was either of those prices, that would be much better for room to work with
If this truck is over $50k I'd be having second thoughts.... really?

IMO, a truck over 50k shouldnt have what even appears to be a crusty crossmember...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 15th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

$20k is the max I'd spend on a truck that badly eaten by road salt. It easily needs $20k in work not counting labor. I bet there are holes in the chassis where the gearbox crossmember bolts. Take it down and check if you can. There's bound to be lots of galvanic corrosion of the aluminum too. Unscrew the trim piece on the tub at the rear tailgate that holds the rubber seal in place. I bet you'll be greeted by crumbly white aluminum oxide.
Old July 15th, 2016, 11:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
$20k is the max I'd spend on a truck that badly eaten by road salt. It easily needs $20k in work not counting labor. I bet there are holes in the chassis where the gearbox crossmember bolts. Take it down and check if you can. There's bound to be lots of galvanic corrosion of the aluminum too. Unscrew the trim piece on the tub at the rear tailgate that holds the rubber seal in place. I bet you'll be greeted by crumbly white aluminum oxide.
There are no more $20 NAS D90s corroded or otherwise.
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Given my doubts as to PO maintenance habits, add several thou to your budget to bring it back to life

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, d90, ht, nas