Thoughts on 235 85 r16 tires - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
I'm running 7.50 XCLs on my disco. I have 7.50 XZLs I may put on soon to try out. the XCLs sound like a hornets nest, and damn they are old, but I cruise nice on them. I think the XZLs will be less noisy than the XCL. The tread pattern is closer and looks more flat for the road. I was going to import some new Michelin Latitude 7.50s that come on the new Defenders in the UK. I like the look a lot for a non aggressive tire.

RN sells them for new but are stupid expensive.

My friend Scott is selling the 8.25s in NY. I used to work with him. He is a great guy and those tires are really rare in that size. They fit a 2" lifted truck nicely. I was going to go check them out one of these weekends.

Wow, XCLs... talk about authentic CT tires - that's awesome! And I take your word for it... just looking at those farm tractor like tread pattern, I'm sure they're as loud as a John Deere on harvest day! LOL

After 5 years and roughly 80k miles on my D1 (with 2 coast to coast trips), I retired my XZLs this past summer and replace them with the Latitude 7.50 you speak of... night and day difference compared to the XZLs and still retain that pizza cutter look that is "traditional" on LRs. Gas mileage is a welcome improvement too. I lucked out and bought them from Arjun's crazy clean 110 that he imported from the UK.

Yes, 8.25 very rare on the XZLs. I would like to get those from eBay but couldn't stomach the $1,800 BIN price. Let me know if/when you're going to take a look, I might tag along to "window shop".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:44 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post
Wow, XCLs... talk about authentic CT tires - that's awesome! And I take your word for it... just looking at those farm tractor like tread pattern, I'm sure they're as loud as a John Deere on harvest day! LOL

Yes, 8.25 very rare on the XZLs. I would like to get those from eBay but couldn't stomach the $1,800 BIN price. Let me know if/when you're going to take a look, I might tag along to "window shop".
With the original 1995 Japanese Camel Trophy winch tray, superwinch husky and brush guard too! I wanted to build a genuine truck that LR should have had as an options kit back in '95. that was a true pain to find and get. But I will be producing new ones from this original one.

I will let you know if I go up and see the tires.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Maximal
Max
none

I have 235's on my truck right now. They are ok, but I ordered 265/75's because I think they look better on alloys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2012, 03:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Dan and I won Rover Polo about a month ago, and we collectively credited the XCL's for the world record for most Rover Polo goals scored during a single event for a single truck, as well as our team win.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-42444112.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	61709  
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
That D1 looks kinda like my D1 save for the XCLs and Brush Guard.

Dan, interested on the repro brush guard if you go to production. I do have one of the last few D1 oem winch tray on it now (sans winch that I sold before), which is similar to the tray on the CT trucks except, not cut through the bumper.

Josh, I thought you had an ST?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Josh, I thought you had an ST?
I do. I'm in Dan's truck holding the yellow broom and expertly guarding the ball under his truck.
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:52 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I'm running a set of 238/85 R16 BFG track edges. Had them in deep storage for a couple of years, got them out when we had a snowy winter a couple of years ago - brilliant.
Run them all the time now after 2 of my General TR at the same size broke up. They'd done two trips to Morocco each with over 1000 miles off-road on very rocky terrain.
235 is a great size even with a 1.22:1 transfer box & 200tdi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, tire, tires