Thoughts, Good, Bad, indifferent lt230 part time - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Thoughts, Good, Bad, indifferent lt230 part time

1:4 LT230 part time 4x4. Comes with Locking Hubs. Makes your defender selectable 2x4/4x4. Ashcroft shop modified. Increase fuel mileage by decreasing front end drag which can be as much as 10% depending on gearing. This is 30k's from new. $1400.00

Was wondering if this setup is any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Never heard of it. I'd never pay 1400 for a tcase with 30k on it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tom,
Have to agree with Jim on the price. The part time thing is how a few of the very early lt230's came. If memory serves me correctly the green 200 tdi pickup Pendy has for sale had a 1.66 one originally. I think Michael Slade was also running a part time box in the big rig he built. You may pick up a few mpg but would take a very long time to make up that price. I also think the full time 4wd helps the way these handle-especially the 90. If you want to see how it would feel/handle remove the front drive shaft and take a drive with the center diff locked, should give you a good idea.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Tom,
Have to agree with Jim on the price. The part time thing is how a few of the very early lt230's came. If memory serves me correctly the green 200 tdi pickup Pendy has for sale had a 1.66 one originally. I think Michael Slade was also running a part time box in the big rig he built. You may pick up a few mpg but would take a very long time to make up that price. I also think the full time 4wd helps the way these handle-especially the 90. If you want to see how it would feel/handle remove the front drive shaft and take a drive with the center diff locked, should give you a good idea.
+1 to what he said. I think they drive screwy in 2WD. Just my opinion but I never liked them in 2WD.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Thanks Guys,
I just saw this and never had heard of it before. Its not on my long list of planned mods.
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There's a school of thought that would argue that if Rover dropped it, it may not have been a good idea (can of worm's there).

Should have borrowed/stolen Pendy's part-time shift knob when I had the chance. Has to be a very,very, rare part.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Bahh,

They're all crazy. It is great unless you have a rear detroit, then it starts acting up in 2wd with the short wheelbase. Keith at Rovertracks can do a conversion on your existing case if you want to go to 2wd. Personally, unless your after rear digs, I doubt it would be worth it either way.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The only person I know that did this really wished he never wasted the money. There is no mileage savings. It puts more wear on the rear drivetrain and the biggest problem is you lose the amazing driveability on gravel roads and the like. The full time 4WD is magic on those high speed, lower traction situations.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lt230, part