Those messy wires - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2003, 01:53 AM
greg_sikes
Greg Sikes
1997 D-90 SW #0433

Those messy wires

So I've been ignoring my honey-do list as of late and working on my D90.

My activities include planning for light installation ... first on the external rollcage, using 4 tabs up top, until I get a roof rack. (I've searched several forums for guidance to no avail ... but ... please pardon the redundant question if I missed a previous discussion.)

Any suggestions on the best (aesthetic) way to run the wiring into the truck?

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2003, 05:02 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Greg,

I had mine mounted in the same place, and the wires come along to the left of the rol bar only (in that wire wrap stuff), and tuck into the car right at the front top corner of the left door, run down the inside behind the platic cover beside the front window. The relays are in the battery box with fused leads coming from the battery. The switch is a factory two-stage headlight switch mounted to the right side of the steering column, complete with rubber boot and all. The first stage ignites the front 2 lights, and the second stage adds to 4 on top so all 6 are on but through three separate circuits.

Wicks
Old October 9th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You could drill holes in the roll bar to run the wires. You only need to run 1 wire per light. The ground can go directly to the tab mount on the bar as long as it has a good electrical connection (sand off the paint). Depending on how you want to switch on and off the lights will depend on how many wires you have to run. If you dont mind switching them all on and off at once then just one heavy wire. After the wire comes down the roll bar then you could run it under the hood and from there you will be able to get to anyplace on the 90 while keeping the wire hidden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2003, 11:50 AM
greg_sikes
Greg Sikes
1997 D-90 SW #0433

Wicks and Mike,

Thanks for the input. You guys covered the two options I am currently considering. I like the "external-plastic sheathing" method for ease-of-installation and the "drill a hole in the rollbar" for appearances.

With the rollbar option, I was considering running the wiring inside the rollbar back to where it attaches to the truck behind the driver/passenger door, drilling a hole in the body under the mounting plate, and bringing with wiring in that way.

Mike, or Wicks, have you done this or seen it (rollbar method) done?

Greg
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Hey Greg - Where in Irvine?
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think it would be hard too run the wire that way. If you have ever tried to push wire threw tubes with bends in it then you would know what you are up against. It may be easier using "fish tape" (what they use to pull wires in house) to pull the wire threw. Also the tubes may not be all open to each other. Infact I think the front hoop is not open to the bar over the door so it may not be possible.
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

"drilling a hole in the body"

It's against my Rover rules unless it is to fit some kind of standard fixture or option.
Old October 9th, 2003, 03:58 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

I have also seen it done in a similar way as described by Wicks only the wires follow on the outside of the cage down to the top of the left wing and then take a 90 deg. turn to tuck under the hood right at the bulkhead.
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:28 PM
greg_sikes
Greg Sikes
1997 D-90 SW #0433

Mike, Wicks, and Read:
I'll probably run the wires externally attached to the rollbar, in a plastic sheath, and into the truck behind the hood at the bulkhead. I spent a few hours with John at EE today; we removed the horizontal rollbar to see about running the wires internal to the rollbar. While it looked feasible, we had a bit of work getting the rollbar back on as the internal bracket shifted -- I had to climb inside the truck and push on the internal rollbar to help realign the bracket while John rethreaded the bolts. So, I'll opt for ease-of-installation for now.

Joe: I live in Woodbridge, by the North Lake. White '97 D-90.

Thanks again for all the input.

Greg
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:38 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Nice, I've been meaning to pay John and Ho a visit and pick up some new toys...
Old October 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM
greg_sikes
Greg Sikes
1997 D-90 SW #0433

Read,

John and Ho have a lot of nice toys to buy. I especially like their new tent-cot ... but spent all my allowance $.

Greg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions