This weekend's D110 projects... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

This weekend's D110 projects...

Thanks to a few of the board members for help on a couple specific questions that came up as I was working on the D110 this weekend. Got the vehicle a couple weeks ago so wanted to do a bunch of maintenance and updates. Had a couple requests to show some pics of the work. Since I'm learning as I go this all probably took me a lot more time than others here! Upgraded headlamps/bulbs, new roof lights / fog lights, new spark plugs/wires/ignition coil/dist cap/rotor, chg oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter, and clean up/fixed up the battery box (fix some minor rusting at bottom, upgraded cables to 0ga where possible and will do alternator wire w 0ga when I get a long enough piece, added maxi fuse and Blue Sea fuse box... inspired by Chris Snell... also added dynamat along the bottom of the battery box and ThermoTec to the underside of the batter compartment cover; just have to finish putting together a new tie-down); removed rust on the wheel bolts with Black Star Rust Converter, which did a really nice job, new LR floor mats front/mid/cargo, and lastly put on some seat covers from EquipT Escape Gear which also came out nicely.. Attaching a few pics. Next will be audio system and dynamat/RAAMaudio application to doors/floors/firewall, but will take a break and enjoy the truck for bit first

Click image for larger version

Name:	L1003890.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	41670

Name:	L1003895.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	41671

Name:	L1003900.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	41672

Name:	L1003902.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	41673

Name:	L1003905.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	41674

Name:	L1003915.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	41676

Name:	L1003908a.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	41677

The battery compartment before the project for reference

Attachment 41678
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:43 PM
belgian
Maxim
1995 RRC SWB

Looks amazing.
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:35 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

battery box day

right behind ya. Good day for battery box work. Wow this is a high quality fuse box

Name:	photo(3).JPG
Views:	163
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	41680
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Jayz - what lugs are those, do they fit the positive accessory terminals of the fuse box or just the mains? I need to hunt down some good ones for the amp cables for the box.
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Damn that's a clean truck.
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:48 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Nice job. I would in the future recommend the use of a marine battery that will provide studs on which you can bolt down your cable terminals. I am not really a fan of clamp type battery fittings. You just cannot get them tight enough, and overtightening just distorts them.
If you wish, you can use a marine type clamp on battery post terminal adapter. These are usually nickel plated brass with a wing nut stud. I always toss the wing nuts in favor of nylon insert nuts.

One last thing. Take a big glob of grease and cover the battery terminals and fittings thoroughly.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Nice job. I would in the future recommend the use of a marine battery that will provide studs on which you can bolt down your cable terminals. I am not really a fan of clamp type battery fittings.
The Odyssey has studs and is a superior battery to others on the market. Looks like silverlight chose to put a post on top of the studs and use a clamp on audio type fitting. I agree simple eyelets with a nut on the studs would be a better connection.

Looking good. Glad to see your having fun with it.
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Nice job. I would in the future recommend the use of a marine battery that will provide studs on which you can bolt down your cable terminals. I am not really a fan of clamp type battery fittings. You just cannot get them tight enough, and overtightening just distorts them.
If you wish, you can use a marine type clamp on battery post terminal adapter. These are usually nickel plated brass with a wing nut stud. I always toss the wing nuts in favor of nylon insert nuts.

One last thing. Take a big glob of grease and cover the battery terminals and fittings thoroughly.
Thanks, appreciate the tips. The battery came stock with the commercial/marine threaded terminals, I just happened to have put on the adapters that Odyssey provides. Can certainly pop off the adapters and terminate the cables with nice o-rings. These terminals fit pretty darn securely though, I was impressed (both the terminal and the connectors for the cables.

Most importantly, I've been looking for good covers for these suckers b/c it's a hazard waiting to happen.

Will definitely apply grease (I assume you mean dielectric grease) to the terminals/connectors. Have a tube of Permatex coming soon.

------ Follow up post added September 5th, 2011 10:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgian View Post
Looks amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Damn that's a clean truck.
Thanks!
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:15 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Nice work. Congratulations on your Odyssey purchase.
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:17 AM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Looks really nice.
Do you have before and after on the wheel lug work?

Is the dynamat mainly to keep heat down for comfort? or to keep it away from electrical parts?
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:35 AM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by california View Post
Looks really nice.
Do you have before and after on the wheel lug work?

Is the dynamat mainly to keep heat down for comfort? or to keep it away from electrical parts?
I just cropped a photo from a week or so ago and it has the characteristic rust that is on the wheel lugs. I'll post an after on friday when we get back out to where the truck is (meant to take a photo this afternoon before we left but didn't get a chance to).

The dynamat is for both, and it may help with sound as well. After applying to all the floors/doors/firewall (potentially roof if I'm courageous enough to deal with the liner), should have a meaningful affect on external noise. Would use a combination of dynamat (and equivalent) as well as a sound barrier (typically a high density closed cell foam), which together have a much greater impact on sound reduction.

Name:	L1003800.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	41722

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, d110