Thinking Conversions... Where/Who - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Coug D90
Tristan Felchlin
1995/D90

Thinking Conversions... Where/Who

I know there are a multitude of threads in relation to conversions and I have poured through a fair deal of them. My question is not so much what to swap pretty much have that nailed down but. Who?

I am in the military and was reassigned to Germany, the D90 will not be making the journey with me at least not right away due to an upcoming deployment. I am thinking though while I am gone having the tired 3.9 pulled and replaced with either a 4.6 or the 2.8...

Now normally this especially the 4.6 would be a project I'd do myself which is what I'd do if I had the time. But seeing as I won't be able to do it the conversion doesn't really become a time sensitive task (12 mo deployment, and 2 years additional in Europe)

My question is where is the consensus on swaps, I am on the west coast...but I do know of ECR.. any other recommendations?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Matt Brown in ME. can do it. He does great work.

I would do the 4.6 .
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

West: http://www.roverhybrids.com/
Midwest: Pendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Pendy did mine and was fabulous. You have several options.

Although you didn't want to discuss what, my recommendation is to go with the 300TDI with the EVO kit instead of a 2.8. Parts are SO much easier to source for the 300TDI, and the EVO kit makes up on the power side. Best of both worlds. With the 300TDI, you'll know that if you have a engine breakdown (other than a turbo failure) that you could have parts overnight from RN. Not so much for several items on the 2.8 (mostly gaskets).
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Coug D90
Tristan Felchlin
1995/D90

mhh yea how much would be the estimate for your 300 tdi swap?
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

If you're going to be in europe for a while, why not source the parts from Germany and the UK... That is, if you can wrangle some shipping, courtesy of uncle Sam, back to the US... you'd save yourself a shed load of money.

And Germany isn't too far from Prins Maasdijk, who used to export the engines all over the world, however just looking at their site, they say that the engine is no longer available... unless you can get it via Stephen Cahill at old british wheels in Canada?

either way, sourcing stuff like Tdi R380, fuel tanks, a couple of 300 engines etc will be easy from the UK or surrounding countries.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug D90 View Post
I know there are a multitude of threads in relation to conversions and I have poured through a fair deal of them. My question is not so much what to swap pretty much have that nailed down but. Who?

I am in the military and was reassigned to Germany, the D90 will not be making the journey with me at least not right away due to an upcoming deployment. I am thinking though while I am gone having the tired 3.9 pulled and replaced with either a 4.6 or the 2.8...

Now normally this especially the 4.6 would be a project I'd do myself which is what I'd do if I had the time. But seeing as I won't be able to do it the conversion doesn't really become a time sensitive task (12 mo deployment, and 2 years additional in Europe)

My question is where is the consensus on swaps, I am on the west coast...but I do know of ECR.. any other recommendations?

Thanks
If you are going 4.6 and are on the left coast, call Eddie at West Coast Rover. Good guy.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
If you're going to be in europe for a while, why not source the parts from Germany and the UK... That is, if you can wrangle some shipping, courtesy of uncle Sam, back to the US... you'd save yourself a shed load of money.

And Germany isn't too far from Prins Maasdijk, who used to export the engines all over the world, however just looking at their site, they say that the engine is no longer available... unless you can get it via Stephen Cahill at old british wheels in Canada?

either way, sourcing stuff like Tdi R380, fuel tanks, a couple of 300 engines etc will be easy from the UK or surrounding countries.

+1

It seems to make more sense to have it done in Europe if you can bring the truck overthere. If I was still active I would have no problem bringing a D-90 for overhaul in Europe and have it "kitted" out there...
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
+1

It seems to make more sense to have it done in Europe if you can bring the truck overthere. If I was still active I would have no problem bringing a D-90 for overhaul in Europe and have it "kitted" out there...
That's the way to go right there...
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Coug D90
Tristan Felchlin
1995/D90

mhh things to look into.. shops over in the uk...
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Might not have to go to the "mother land". Attached is a picture I took a couple summers ago in Homer Alaska. These guys where from Germany on a 1 year trip. He got all the parts from Germany....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Germans.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	33871  
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
France and Germany have all the LHD parts too.
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Coug D90
Tristan Felchlin
1995/D90

Well I am in Germany now, once things get settled all start looking around at possibly where over here to acquire the needed bits for a 300 conversion... If I can't wrangle any great deals I'll be probably just sending it off to have the conversion to the 4.6... but we will see.
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Might not have to go to the "mother land". Attached is a picture I took a couple summers ago in Homer Alaska. These guys where from Germany on a 1 year trip. He got all the parts from Germany....
Is that the Homer Spit? I love that place. I never saw any defenders up there! Good place, I hope to get my defender up there one day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion