Defender Source Forum banner

Thinking Conversions... Where/Who

Tags
conversion
2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Cred 
#1 ·
I know there are a multitude of threads in relation to conversions and I have poured through a fair deal of them. My question is not so much what to swap pretty much have that nailed down but. Who?

I am in the military and was reassigned to Germany, the D90 will not be making the journey with me at least not right away due to an upcoming deployment. I am thinking though while I am gone having the tired 3.9 pulled and replaced with either a 4.6 or the 2.8...

Now normally this especially the 4.6 would be a project I'd do myself which is what I'd do if I had the time. But seeing as I won't be able to do it the conversion doesn't really become a time sensitive task (12 mo deployment, and 2 years additional in Europe)

My question is where is the consensus on swaps, I am on the west coast...but I do know of ECR.. any other recommendations?

Thanks

#4 ·
Pendy did mine and was fabulous. You have several options.

Although you didn't want to discuss what, my recommendation is to go with the 300TDI with the EVO kit instead of a 2.8. Parts are SO much easier to source for the 300TDI, and the EVO kit makes up on the power side. Best of both worlds. With the 300TDI, you'll know that if you have a engine breakdown (other than a turbo failure) that you could have parts overnight from RN. Not so much for several items on the 2.8 (mostly gaskets).

#6 ·
If you're going to be in europe for a while, why not source the parts from Germany and the UK... That is, if you can wrangle some shipping, courtesy of uncle Sam, back to the US... you'd save yourself a shed load of money.

And Germany isn't too far from Prins Maasdijk, who used to export the engines all over the world, however just looking at their site, they say that the engine is no longer available... unless you can get it via Stephen Cahill at old british wheels in Canada?

either way, sourcing stuff like Tdi R380, fuel tanks, a couple of 300 engines etc will be easy from the UK or surrounding countries.

#13 ·
Well I am in Germany now, once things get settled all start looking around at possibly where over here to acquire the needed bits for a 300 conversion... If I can't wrangle any great deals I'll be probably just sending it off to have the conversion to the 4.6... but we will see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.