Things that go BANG in the night - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2011, 12:33 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Things that go BANG in the night

Ugh. Ran out for Chinese last light and when I put the Loob in D to come back home it made a loud and stomach wrenching bang. No drive to the wheels. Hundred buck tow two miles home this morning.
I think it's something in the transfer case, but not sure. I will pull it apart prolly this weekend. Merry effin Christmas.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Before you get too carried away, consider that it could also be a sheared clutch hub. It happened to me with my IIA, and it wasn't even visible when I looked at the clutch disc. I was baffled, so I called the dealer. (This was back when they were still selling Series Rovers here.) He told me to clamp the hub in a vise and try to turn the disc. Voila! A sheared hub.
k
Old December 26th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Axles also make a big pop when they go.
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

I don't mean to step on any toes, but it's probably not a clutch hub. I don't say this from experience but that a 93 LWB classic in "D" (drive) implies to me an automatic transmission.

No drive to any wheels? Prob not an axle right?

I think all us (now) vintage Rover owners (and all british and italian car owners for that matter) should spring for AAAplus w/ unlimited tow miles. I know I don't want to ever have to take my rig to AAMCO lol. Not to mention that you can demand a flatbed.
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
Axles also make a big pop when they go.
Not necessarily. I had one break silently. I stopped at a light, and everything was fine. The light changed, and there I sat with no drive to the wheels. The clutch hub was the same.

And I stand corrected about the "D" reference. In my world, automatics are practically nonexistent, so "D" is almost meaningless. I dread the day when I'm so feeble that I can't operate a clutch.
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bill how many miles on the loob ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Bill how many miles on the loob ?
Just a pup at 226 thousand Kilometers. I have a spare everything; BW case and ZF trans, at the barny. Will probably have to wait until spring to do any swappage. I dunno. Just not motivated today.
I am thinking that I will get tags on the SWB and drive that for the time being. It needs only a wiper motor and a rad.

And as to the Chinese, apparently I am not the only one who craves MSG on the holidays...the place was packed full, with people standing in line to get in. It's a really good place.
For the holidays, the best thing to have for dinner is a debit card.

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2011 06:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Karlsson View Post
Not necessarily. I had one break silently. I stopped at a light, and everything was fine. The light changed, and there I sat with no drive to the wheels. The clutch hub was the same.

And I stand corrected about the "D" reference. In my world, automatics are practically nonexistent, so "D" is almost meaningless. I dread the day when I'm so feeble that I can't operate a clutch.
Hey if the RRC came with a clutch I'd be right there with you babe. However, don't knock a silky smooth ZF transmission until you've driven one. I think they are awfully nice.

1968 2A 88

Old December 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Probably a carrier. The pinion pins will go with no warning. Should have been able to lock the t-case and at least move, though......with some grinding, popping and banging.

But I had a transmission do this once. Loud pop and there I sat. Luckily I was in the driveway. I was, however, able to put it into low-1 and rev the engine to get rolling, then manually shift through the gears, but it slipped a lot in 3rd and 4th. Only had to go 2/10 of a mile to the shop.... Reverse still worked.

Make sure, too, it's not something dumb like the t-case being in neural. Check the drive flange bolts as well.

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2011 06:25 PM ------

Oh, did not realize it was a BW case.
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Thanks Dan, but I think for now I'm gonna leave it sit in the driveway and give it the stinky eyeball every time I walk past.

1968 2A 88

Old December 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post

Hey if the RRC came with a clutch I'd be right there with you babe. However, don't knock a silky smooth ZF transmission until you've driven one. I think they are awfully nice.
I did get to drive one for a few days. It was okay, but I've never been able to get used to driving an automatic. If somebody waved a RRC with Tdi and manual box under my nose, I would be very tempted.
Old December 26th, 2011, 07:54 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Thanks Dan, but I think for now I'm gonna leave it sit in the driveway and give it the stinky eyeball every time I walk past.
Can't you replace the viscus on a BW without removing the t-case? That would be easy enough.

Get your jack out and do some tests. You can't lead up and not deliver. You got to report back and tell us what the problem was/is. Don't tease us, you teaser.

You're such a little teaser.

I still got money on the carrier. If it were a viscus, you'd have a 50/50 shot of it either being fully locked or fully unlocked. Most, if not all, that I've seen broke fully locked. So I'm betting it was a pinion pin in the carrier.

But then again it could be an axle. Or a transmission. Or just a linkage issue. Or the t-case is in neural. Or you were just really stoned.
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Hey I'm not the kind of person who shows my viscous coupling to just anyone.
If that makes me a tease, well....

1968 2A 88

Old December 26th, 2011, 11:13 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

You're so silly sometimes. Silly man.
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Shit. Had I known...Ron O'Day, Quintin and I went to Mark's Duck House last night.

Quote:
Ugh. Ran out for Chinese last light and when I put the Loob in D to come back home it made a loud and stomach wrenching bang. No drive to the wheels. Hundred buck tow two miles home this morning.
I think it's something in the transfer case, but not sure. I will pull it apart prolly this weekend. Merry effin Christmas.
------ Follow up post added December 27th, 2011 12:33 AM ------

I was gonna say something about all the teasing but I think Dan's got it covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Don't tease us, you teaser.

You're such a little teaser.
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:01 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Spent the last two days getting the old Borg Warner out of my parts truck. Love doing rectal surgery on my back with rust raining in my face the whole time.
there's one bolt that you cannot get a wrench on for anything. Even when you do it cannot be turned because there is no room. How I got it I cannot even remember it was so painful.

1968 2A 88

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:08 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Karlsson View Post
I did get to drive one for a few days. It was okay, but I've never been able to get used to driving an automatic. If somebody waved a RRC with Tdi and manual box under my nose, I would be very tempted.
Not to distract from Bills pain........but there is one not too far from RI that you can wave your nose over, it does need a fresh Rangie though lol.......I went to a silky smooth Tdi auto.

......and Bill your description of "rectal surgery" sounds much like myself at the end of every day other than I don't work on my back. Got tired of that old french whore feeling. Still not the easiest thing.
Good luck with the loob. I've yet to see a BW fail that way but it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Usually half shafts. Usually the front long side. I'm curious.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Thanks Matt. Just hedging my bets. I haven't done a check of the axles yet. Hoping it's that, not the TC.

1968 2A 88

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

That is with the 10spline axles. Yours might be 24 eh?

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM
rockstardave
Dave Dulansey
1995 D-90

I used to live in Kensington. Is Continental still open? Oh man I'm salivating just thinking about it!!
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I also had the pump in the transmission make that sound and die. My guess: broken axle and a bad VC in the BW causing no drive or two broken axles and physics causing no drive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht