Theoretical Technical Question. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
PDX Bolt
Tom Harbolt
1995 White D90 Soft Top
Theoretical Technical Question.

I have a 1995 D-90 that is all stock. I want to begin restoring the vehicle to the extent it requires it. I read the Forum threads with great interest and I think people are in two camps. (1) The Purisits - maintain the original design of the vehicle, unless ofcourse it leads to engine fires, or (2) The Enthusiasts - modify and customize the original design to maximize your fun/enjoyment. My question is whether people think that the #(2) group at some point diminishes the value of the vehicle as it relates to resale (assuming they would ever part with the vehicle). Sorry for the theoretical question, but I find myself a bit paralyzed regarding updates/upgrades to the vehicle.

Old June 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

...or modify it and have fun but don't do anything that can be "undone" i.e. don't trim the quarters and fenders for monster truck tires...oh and also no airbrush paint of reptiles on the hood/doors...

Old June 14th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Yes, no one is going to ding you on price for things like aftermarket exhaust or a simple lift and 33in tires (except to the extent they are evidence it was taken off road) but also you don't get much money back from the upgrades either.

Now the key issue is why would you ever sell your defender? I sold mine in a moment of poverty and distress and then bought it back 7 years later.
*not legal advice*
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"
What's this "re-sale" you speak of? do you mean to imply that Nola would leave me???

I'm largely in camp #2 and yes it diminishes the resale value in many ways... but if you only do things that can be undone then it's not too bad...

of course taking if offroad diminishes the value but that's what these things were made for so take your pick...
"well... we're not building a piano"
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor
Hello my name is Keith and I'm a Roverholic.
I have scratches and dents in my 110... Should I feel guilty?

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18
I'm in #2 camp. I had modified my previous D90, drove it everywhere, on and off road, and sold it at about the same price I had paid... but I had put a lot of money on add-ons and mods... Oh and repairs...

I sold it, in a moment of weakness and have regretted it. I had a D110 when I live in France, it was nice, but a bit big (I have no kids). I had a Range Rover Classic: too expensive to maintain (too many gadgets). I recently bought a stock one and will modify it... again. I'll keep it somewhat stock looking, a little SIII looking and a little off-roading aka Mad Max looking. I expect that selling it will be more an issue to be resolved after reading my will. In the end this is cheaper than psychotherapy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions