Theoretical ? regarding a mallory unilite distributor, coil and battery. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question Theoretical ? regarding a mallory unilite distributor, coil and battery.

Hey guys check this out, If I lay out my new distributor, coil and a 12volt battery on the table, connect the battery to the coil, the coil to the distributor the correct way, and then spin the distributor, would I get spark from the coil lead to the - ground of the battery post? lol i'm just curious because I wonder if I put my mallory unilite and coil onto my rover would fix my no spark issue. I'm worried getting spark from the ignition system is more than just coil to distributor.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Just called my electrical engineer he says the following:

Don't leave the coil connected to the battery continuously because you can over heat it...

1. Put a paper clip in the center terminal bend the clip to hang over the negative terminal by 1/2 inch.
2. Hook the positive terminal on the coil to the battery positive
3. Hook a wire on the negative terminal on the coil, then take the othe end of the wire and and tap the negative battery (don't bolt it on)

when this happens a small spark should jump from the center terminal to the negative terminal on the coil...
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

wow interesting, so what if I hooked up the distributor like this using the mallory wiring from dist to coil then to battery terminals and then plug in a sparkplug wire to the coil and get it close to something grounded like a metal cabinet or something and then spin the dizzy on the distributor, would this theoretically work? I'm trying to replicate the exact way it would spark when installed in an engine but instead on my table/lap lol

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I sent an email to him.. He will get it to work... His idea of fun at my last job was to turn on his Tesla machine and screw with the IT folks..
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

haha, awesome, thanks man!

Robert Deniro
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
wow interesting, so what if I hooked up the distributor like this using the mallory wiring from dist to coil then to battery terminals and then plug in a sparkplug wire to the coil and get it close to something grounded like a metal cabinet or something and then spin the dizzy on the distributor, would this theoretically work? I'm trying to replicate the exact way it would spark when installed in an engine but instead on my table/lap lol

Ground the threaded part of the plug (on the neg battery using a hose clamp) and run a negative wire through the distributers body (to ground it). Hook distributer to the coil like the diagram says.. give it a whirl...

Question? Can you email me the wiring diagram and my buddy will check it out....He will draw up a bench test device plan for you.
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Looks like this minus the ballast resister (using a Mallory coil that supposedly dosen't need one).

http://www.v8engines.com/Gallery-2/M...tor_wiring.jpg

Robert Deniro
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I sent the diagram to my friend, he will digest it and probably put together a bench test diagram (pencil drawing on scratch paper) and scan it in in the morning, you should have it by the time you eat your wheaties in the morning
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

woo hoo. thanks man, I think its pretty straight forward it would seem.

Robert Deniro
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:07 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Please see attached PDF file. Let me know if it works!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring_Diagram.pdf (273.9 KB, 75 views)
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

LOL Awesome, I'm gonna try this on Saturday, I will be very relieved to see some sparks. Thanks again!

Robert Deniro
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
LOL Awesome, I'm gonna try this on Saturday, I will be very relieved to see some sparks. Thanks again!
Video this so you can put it on YouTube!!! If you have any cats around you can check the spark levels..
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

haha, yeah i got a cat that i would like to shock. Oh wait you mean like a catalyic converter right?? peta cough cough. Just got off the phone with another tech at Mallory and he says that the mallory distributor and coil system runs independently from the land rover system other than the 12 volts going to the coil. He also said that as far as the neccesity for a ballast resister, again the coil i bought won't need it and the concern for voltage spikes shouldn't be a problem because the spikes are generally between the alternator and the battery, he said the battery itself is a voltage shock absorber and should minimize any spikes that could affect the voltage going to the ignition switch to the coil. So there it is, supposedly no need for a ballast resister, hope everything works out. Thanks man for that diagram, even the lines drawn were accurately representing the ones on the diagram! Beers on me if you get to LA.

Robert Deniro
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

what happened with the test?
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Last nite I put the gear coupling on and drilled the hole for the role pin, couldn't do the test last weekend due to rain here in LA so it will be this week. I will post once I do though. thanks for all the help!

Robert Deniro
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

It worked! Thanks man, all I need to do is start it this sat. But yes I am getting spark from your diagram. Thank you!

Robert Deniro
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

No problem, the guy that actually did the diagram is a genious when it comes to electricity. He is the guy that showed me that taser guns are more mental than physical... took a few lessons.....

but now i can have a conversation with you while being tased or at least knock the shit out of you so you will stop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, coil, distributor