theft? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2004, 03:15 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

theft?

just wondering,
does the d-90 have a high theft problem?? do you guys have alarms? low-jack?

-dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

I work in Los Angeles and have never seen a D-90 stolen. Although if it was taken, because you dont see to many around it would be stripped or shipped somewhere pretty fast. Land Rovers for the most part are not stolen. 18 years in Law Enforcement, I have known about two. One Range Rover taken in Hollywood and it ended up on the news during a pursuit. The victim left the keys in it while they went to pay for gas. The other was a Disco which was recovered intact the following day.

I am sure someone will pay somebody a nice $ for a Defender. Its the world we live in. It could be working a coffee plantation in So. America in a few days. What realy hurts is when someone takes it to joy ride. "Drive it like you stole it" attitude will render your vehicle with costly damage. If the vehicle ends up in a pursuit, out here the CHP will conduct a Pit Maneuver which will cause body damage. Or the 14 y/o wants his fame on tv news. You know he or she is bound to T/C. My D-90 has Lo-Jack. It works trust me. I even get a small break for the cost to insure it. In the Hollywood area of Los Angeles, 5 to 7 cars are stolen daily. That is everyday! Vehicle alarms in the city just make noise. It takes someone to call the Po Po when they hear them. Many times the bad guys cut the speaker anyway.
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:35 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Vince - Who are you with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2004, 08:04 PM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

LAPD, you know the ones in the news all the time.
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:12 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Yeah, the guys that were always jumping our pursuits.
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:43 PM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

At least we didnt start any of the riots. 8-)
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:27 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

lol!
where's the love?! =)

thanks guys..

-dan
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Hey Vince, thanks for letting me drive your D90 at Pismo this summer. I liked the suspension so I set mine up like yours. Maybe see you at the next gathering - I have been meaning to join SCLR.

O/T I know, so I'll throw in my bit. I rarely lock my D90. Why? The soft top is easy pickings for anyone with a knife. The only things worth stealing I lock in the tuffy console.

As for stealing the whole car, I'd like your opinion on anti-theft bars such as 'the club' (which we I think is easy to get around) but also the ones which go under the clutch/brake pedals -- these seem harder to defeat. Any other anti-theft gear you'd recommend as a police officer besides lo-jack?
Old November 29th, 2004, 07:11 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Anti-theft gear?

Here's my recommendation...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00067.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	1959  
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:26 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Vince,
What area do you work? I am with the LAFD and work in East LA, Hollenbeck/Northeast area. Fire Station 1 on Pasadena Ave.
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

There is a new tool out that cuts out all hydraulic power to the slave cylinder on the manual transmission, so it can't be shifted into gear when locked out. It was pricey though, at about $650. It has a lock from hell on it. They send 3 keys, because it is nearly impossible to pick. If anyone is interested, I will try and find the advert. for it.
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:37 PM
sholcombe
Stuart Holcombe

I think this is the product your refering to

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.html
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:52 AM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

Bottom line, they want the truck they will get it. I liked the idea of leaving the transfer case in neutral...... Kevin right now I'm in Hollywood. Right behind station 37. I worked Hollenbeck from 93 to 97.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:19 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

How many thiefs do you really think know the value of a Defender? Isn't a MB, Lexus, Chrysler 300 much more valuable to them? I doubt, for some reason, that some knucklehead thief would be smart enough to steal the truck and ship to SA to work on a coffee plantation, especially when he could get one down there for much cheaper than stealing one here. But then again, you guys know the criminal mind much better...
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Also why would someone steal a defender? The parts are very limitied and they are all over the world at less the cost they are here in the states, I think. Would anyone ever want to take the time to export one? I guess I'm wishful thinking. god knows the insurance company would give you a lot of shit when it came to replacing one.
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:28 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I think unless you get a smart theif than you can just leave the transfer case in neutral and not worry to much about it. As for locking it. i don't lock mine anywhere for the fact that its a soft top. I would rather someone open the door instead of cut the top....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:24 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Vehicles are stolen for basically 2 reasons.
1) Opportunity - An individual needs to get from point A to point B, or they need a vehicle to commit another crime. In this case they will take whatever is easiest, starting with something with the engine running, or keys inside. The more trouble it is, the more likely the thief will move on.

2)Organized theft rings - These are thiefs working for someone else who will target specific makes/models to strip for parts, then buy back at salvage, get a new vin, and re-title, OR, to drive down to Central America and end up as someone's POV (as Ken said).

Defenders don't fall into either category (unless you park it somewhere with the keys in the ignition). With that said...NEVER say NEVER! They have been stolen before and probably will be again. The more steps you take to prevent it, the better off you will be.

So...go buy a dog, the club, a battery kill switch, hydraulic kill switch, retina scan i.d. kill switch, James Bond ejection seat, and like Vince said, if they want it bad enough, they will still get it.
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:00 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I heard of one that was stolen in LA it was a 95' white SW it was recovered but totally striped, they even stole the roll bar; however, it seemed most likely insurance fraud. The owner was trying to sell it at the time and the things that were done and stolen were very "showy", big items to make it look like more was missing than not. Not for nothing but the door locks on the Defenders aren't worth the metal they are made of. I have used my ignition key to open 3 different defender doors. Go figure.
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:02 AM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
I use a Footloose4x4 "Full Metal Jacket" on the stick-shift.

Specs: http://www.footloose4x4.com/moreInfo.asp?pID=29
Image: http://www.footloose4x4.com/productI...etaljacket.gif

Not sure if you can get them in the US, but it's a hefty piece of kit.

Nick.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:32 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCURoverD90
i don't lock mine anywhere for the fact that its a soft top. I would rather someone open the door instead of cut the top....
That's what I do. I learned the hard way on an Amigo I used to own. They wanted those CDs so instead of just easily unzipping the back the cut a hole in the top to get in. Cost the insurance company $1000.

Actually, I couldn't lock the 90 if I wanted to. No door locks. I replaced the latch and never transfered over the lock. There's just a big hole where the key would go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions