Defender Source Forum banner

The ultimate travel spares list

Tags
spare
7K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  Manimal 
#1 ·
I'm putting together a spares shopping list for my trip to Baja next year so I thought I'd create a place where we can discuss spares for trips of various destinations and duration. Obviously a spares list is shorter on a short weekend trip and likely much longer on a long international trip.

First question (and I have searched) is regards to wheel bearings. Timken and SKF have been recommended. What size and part# (sources if available) do I need for my NAS D90?

Next, whats your favorite grease?

I was planning on getting a CV joint kit. Is my NAS D90 a 24 spline?

The head gasket sets I have been looking at, strangely do not include the head gasket. Do I buy that separately? Genuine the best way to go? OEM ok?

Reactions: javelinadave
#37 ·
Chris, do you travel alone? Alone in your vehicle and alone with no other vehicles?

What type of communications do you use? Satellite phone, HAM, etc.?

How do you do your route planning? Paper, electronic? Google earth? Has it evolved?

Once planned, how do you navigate? Paper, electronic? GPS, compass, iPad, kneeboard? Has it evolved?

Thanks,

-Neil

#43 ·
Chris has a few threads on OJ forum about this but I wouldn't mind a run through on this forum as well, particularly as I'm planning a longer trip. Perhaps in a separate thread?

#61 ·
For pads genuine are much better than other brands in many people's opinion. Also the genuine pads are handed so make sure you install them correctly.

#48 · (Edited)
There are some critical bolts that need to be added to anyone's kit - even if its not your vehicle that needs it - saves a lot of scratching through a half mile of trail dust.

Bolts to hold brake calipers to axles - two different types for early/late Discovery and Range Rovers. I've been on three separate trail rides where someone lost a front caliper bolt. We were delayed for over an hour each time and now I have some spares (plus some blue Loctite) in the tool box I always have in my Defender.

Selection of suspension nuts and bolts for front track rod and trailing arms.

Bolts/nuts for the pivot pin in the swivel ball housing. We once spent a few hours stuck on the side of a trail when a Series truck lost all of the lower studs in the swivel housing and the front wheel assumed a very non-standard amount of camber.

Spare bolts and nuts for the driveshaft - if you lose one you're pretty screwed.

Replacement radiator plug to rescue the poor souls who haven't replaced the plastic plug on a Discovery, Range Rover Classic or Defender with a brass version. The plastic ones are diabolical little time bombs.

Having these on hand will endear you to your fellow Land Rover owners when they lose one on the trail - should be good for at least one free beer....

This post has been deleted
#49 ·
I took a chicklet ... Well to be precise a home made one but I would have been FUBAR 3/4 up pikes peak without it.

#51 ·
Ordering a new 300tdi head gasket and noticed that there is a variety of options. 1.3mm, 1.4mm, 1.6mm, 1 hole, 2 hole, 3 hole, 4 hole. What's up with all the options and which one do I need?

#64 ·
I packet of wet wipes just in case things turn real nasty ...

#68 ·
Tube and Patch Kit Recommendations

I've always run tubeless so I don't know much about tubes. I want to get a spare tube and a patch kit for my Baja trip. Do the tubes come in sizes? Any brand to recommend that is higher quality? Any patch kit to recommend? I have an ARB patch kit for the tires but nothing for the tubes.

#69 ·
I've always run tubeless so I don't know much about tubes. I want to get a spare tube and a patch kit for my Baja trip. Do the tubes come in sizes? Any brand to recommend that is higher quality? Any patch kit to recommend? I have an ARB patch kit for the tires but nothing for the tubes.
No.

If you've never changed tires by hand don't plan on learning how to do it on the side of a Mexican byway. You can come up and change the Michelin Deserts with Mousses on my bike by hand if you want a lesson in frustration.

Carry a tubeless tire repair kit and an air source along with a second spare if you are expecting problems.

You would need tire levers long enough to get the tire to drop into the center of the rim so you can work the tube in, some baby powder, and a way to secure the tire while you are jumping up and down on the lever. Then if you get another puncture in the tube, you have to get the bead off again, drop the sidewall into the recess in the center of the rim, fish out the tube, patch the inner tube with any old patch kit from a reputable supplier that is dated (not ancient and dried out) and remount.

Or you can do what everybody who lives in Baja does and carry a spare tire (or two) and stop at any one of the thousand tire repair shops in every small town (some even have a taco stand attached) and spend $5 to have your tire repaired and filled with air.

#70 · (Edited)
Point taken and I'd rather not be trying to swap out tubes myself. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it with me even if someone else does it. Perhaps the shops down there don't have tubes for my tire size or perhaps they have some low grade tubes? Who knows. I have an ARB tubeless repair kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.