The ultimate travel spares list - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
My suggestion regarding bulbs is more so that you can avoid potentially being hassled by police for something stupid. I got pulled over twice in one night in two different states for having a tail light out.
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2016, 09:43 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
fuel pump relays
ignition module
rain pancho
spare tire
"tools"
water
snickers bars
slim Jim
water free hand cleaner
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
fuel pump relays
ignition module
rain pancho
spare tire
"tools"
water
snickers bars
slim Jim
water free hand cleaner
He has a diesel.
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Matt_110
Matt

DEET and rape whistle
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:24 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

I heard everything is big in Texas but I didn't realize that applied to mosquitos too
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Pancho. Super helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
fuel pump relays ignition module rain pancho spare tire "tools" water snickers bars slim Jim water free hand cleaner
Old September 10th, 2016, 08:28 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
o NAS with an oil burner. good luck down there

Watch Dust to Glory before you go, this doc will get you hyped up
Old September 10th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Looks like my sarcasm got lost on everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Thanks Pancho. Super helpful.
Old September 10th, 2016, 06:51 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Humm... I skipped the previous comments....
Here is what I keep in the truck at all times (NAS V8, 1995, v-belt truck)

Ignition amp module
Spare coil
Ignition wires
Cap, rotor
AICV
Gas cap (happens)
Oil
Tool Kit (fairly extensive)
Small tarp
Gloves

That's about it, for events I throw in the spare ECU, 1 u-joint and an alternator

That is about it... All my issues thus far have been ignition related over the years...

Drive line stuff is generally not needed since if you kill the front or rear diff, convert to 2wd pulling the shaft or axles as appropriate and get back to camp for a FedEx location with a shower...

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 10th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think it would be helpful to also note what kind of trips everyone are making and how far, along with the spares list. The list is going to be different if you're making a 2 mile road trip to the local Starbucks versus a 6000 mile road trip, perhaps even to a different country. I'm looking to do the latter. I have a very reliable Defender and it's my daily driver so technically I could probably get away with bringing a Slim Jim and a snickers bar but I'm the planner type who likes to be prepared for eventualities. My current list (yet to be posted) I got from a friend who spends a lot of time in Baja with his Defender. I'm particularly interested advice from those of you who actually have experience doing these type of trips.
Old September 10th, 2016, 07:00 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Good point to put my list in context... My d90 is a daily driver, most trips are 2-3 hours but some up to 10hrs each way (the off roading, or just a normal trip..)
For the proposed TAT trip my list included the event stuff...

I dive it daily so am really on top of maintenance as a nessecity

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 10th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Exactly. Context. Rovers like to be driven and I've definitely noticed that with mine.
Old September 10th, 2016, 09:47 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

My typical trip is about 2,500 - 3,000 miles. I take one, rarely two, a year. I'm usually gone for about 10-15 days. My goal every time is to minimize pavement time and drive to the craziest places I can find. My last big trip around Idaho took me on some of the roughest terrain I've ever driven for an extended period of time. 250 miles of this in one day:

That said, Southern Idaho (and Baja California, too) are not far enough off the grid to warrant going full Gonzo on your packing list. You're not driving across Yakutia, after all. If you're running a HD driveline, don't even bother bringing spares. Bring spares for the things that are likely to break (rubber, shocks, U-Joints, tire patches) and for the few things that are easy to carry spares for and would be trip-enders if they did break (tie rod ends, steering U-joint, fuel cut-off solenoid).

I have done my yearly trips for ten years now. For grins, here's a photographic summary of every trail break-down I've seen in that time. The point is to give you an idea of what typically goes wrong. As you can see, it's almost a piece of rubber or a common wear item that breaks.

D2 head gasket failure. Same truck also flatted a tire and had a negative battery cable disconnect on that trip. I chalk the head gasket and battery cable up to insufficient pre-trip preparation. Tire was just bad luck.

Axle tube failure at the weld on Cedar Mesa. An extremely unlikely, trip-ending accident on a smooth and soft sand road caused by an improper factory weld. An onboard welder might have saved the trip but I didn't have one. It was an 12-hour-and-$1500-tow nightmare to get back to civilization.

D1 Shock failure on Ben's D1 on Elk Ridge. Bad luck or possibly incorrect shock length for this amount of articulation. Easily fixed in an hour with a spare that I happened to have. I will never go out without one front and one rear spare shock now and a new set of poly bushings for them.

Flat tire in Beef Basin. Bad luck. Easily fixed with a Safety Seal and Peter's homemade Anton Chigurh CO2 tank.

U-Joint failure in the Escalante Desert. Easily fixed with a spare and the appropriate tools.

Centering ball failure on a dual-cardan driveshaft on I-15. Next to flat tires and broken shocks, this is the most common failure I've seen. Almost always due to insufficient grease, which is just about impossible to apply on these. This is why I hate DC driveshafts. You cannot trail-fix this. Your only choice is to pull the shaft and lock the center diff and drive slow.

Flat on a RRC in the Utah West Desert. Caused by shitty, old, no-name tires. Quickly fixed with a Safety Seal. I only run Michelin XZL tires. Knock on wood, I've never seen a single failure on anybody's XZL, ever.

Leaky rear brake line junction in Breckenridge due to insufficient tightening. Easy fix but not if you didn't carry a can of brake fluid.

Exploded fuel locker latches in Northern Idaho due to -15F temps freezing Jerry cans solid. Fixed with safety wire. Always carry safety wire, it's super useful.

Soon-to-be-infected cut on foot. Owyhee Desert, 150 dirt miles from a doctor. Fixed with duct tape and triple antibiotic. Always carry a simple first aid kit. Duct tape is the miracle Band-Aid for the trail.

Trailing arm bushing in Atlanta, Idaho. It was a miracle that Peter had the assortment of wrenches, spacers, bolts, and sockets needed to hand-press a new one in. One of the more impressive trail fixes I've seen. Put in fresh rubber bushings on all the majors before a big trip, or use poly bushings everywhere and carry spares of them because they go bad more quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
^^ great write up and pics ^^

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Terrific, Chris.
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
Thanks for sharing
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old September 11th, 2016, 04:40 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Chris, do you travel alone? Alone in your vehicle and alone with no other vehicles?

What type of communications do you use? Satellite phone, HAM, etc.?

How do you do your route planning? Paper, electronic? Google earth? Has it evolved?

Once planned, how do you navigate? Paper, electronic? GPS, compass, iPad, kneeboard? Has it evolved?

Thanks,

-Neil
Old September 11th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Chris when are you going to turn that into an article for OJ or something?
r-
R
Old September 11th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Under 100 miles from home.... basic tool kit and AAA+ card.
Over 100 miles.... add small peli with ignition & engine bits, relays, tapes & bailing wire, ecu, and hub socket.... and a multi meter.
A tarp lives in the Rover and I prefer a rain coat over a poncho.
Old September 12th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

He did a trip report OJ online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Chris when are you going to turn that into an article for OJ or something? r- R

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
spare