The sweet smell of exhaust!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2004, 04:14 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

The sweet smell of exhaust!!

I've got what I think are exhaust fumes coming thru to the cab. Don't know exactly where on the exhaust system it is leaking or how the fumes are getting in. Also, not sure whether the intensity of the smell is greater as a result of installing the soft top (not as much air circulation) or if the leak is just getting worse. I have always noticed some exhaust odor as long as I have had it but lately it is pretty strong. Also, the odor is stronger while driving than when the 90 is stopped w/ engine running. I guess it is time for something to be replaced on the exhaust system (90 was previously registered in NY and the muffler shows it. The question: Will any reputable muffler shop be able to find the source of the leak and repair it or is it better to just replace the muffler and pipes.

Anybody had this problem? I don't want to replace everything just to fix a small leak.
Thanks in advance, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2004, 11:22 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

replace what is needed

I haven't had any luck with patches, either done by the pros or by myself.

Considering it was from NY I would search the BBS and find out about your options for your exhaust and replace what is leaking. Up here in Chicago, once the rust starts, it's hard to stop. So take some time to make sure your under carriage is well washed and not salt or mud still lurks.

I went for the NRP system, and like it. That is on the lazy and expensive side. If you can find a good muffler shop, flowmasters and custom bent pipes are way more reasonable. Borla's are nice as well.

EwS
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:46 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks Eric.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust