The Rust Bucket Saga continues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

The Rust Bucket Saga continues

I finally got the RRC to a body shop. The only one in the area willing to touch non-insurance/land rover/frame rust work. They estimated over $5k to fix the rust. Guy laughed and said "it sucks, but your truck is totalled."

I called Treasured Motorcars, but they expressed regret that they have no interest in doing such a project at the moment.

I'm not spending another $5k on this truck, no matter how badly I want it legal and on the road. I'm also unwilling to just stuff some bondo in there and paint it black to trick my way past inspection.

Any other local shops (Maryland) anyone might recommend who can do a frame repair patch more cost effectively than a body shop? Or is it time to contact Will Tillery and see what he will pay for a parts truck.

Thank all that is Holy I don't live in Utah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Where is the frame rusted?

edit: is it the frame or the body shell? If it is the frame, Will would sell you a new frame for $500 and another few hundred to galvanize it. The swap is about 25 hours book time.

Ron
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

It's the frame that's causing failure of the MD Inspeciton; however, the bulkhead is also rusted, as is the driver front wheel well. Specifically, rust-through at the driver side catalytic converter.

I thought this frame patch/repair would be under $2k, and got one over-the-phone ballpark of $500 to $1500, depending on quality/thoroughness... but no one is willing to touch it in reality, let alone for that price.

For $1500 or so I'd put the money in and then try to POR15/Oshpo/Undercoat the beastie and keep going. For $5k, or a frame swap, I'm less willing.

The shop listed, now that I look closely again, almost $3k in parts, and the rest in labor. I guess maybe they were planning a frame swap, too (hence the "$5k on paper, but you'll be in for $7k before it's done.")?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

All of that is eminently patchable -- for $1500 you can get yourself a hell of a nice welder, all the steel you'd need and still have the welder at the end of the day. If you want to have someone else do it, you could try John Kinter at Eurosport in Lorton, VA -- he used to do a lot of rover work, I don't know if he still does, though.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Here's a link to a photo of the damage (if it works). The shop suggests that the frame is not repairable; their estimate did include a new 108" frame assembly for almost $3k, plus full swap.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...otorover46.jpg
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I think I'd go for a frame swap.
Heck, you could do a wrenchathon party and get it swap over a weekend helped by other LR friends. There is probably a lot of people that would like to see how this is done. Just hire someone who knows what he/she is doing, buy pizza/lunch/... and drinks and you should be all set (I assume you have access to a indoor place where that can be done).

Now.... If the bulkhead and the wheel arches are rusted, then that begs the question: what else is rusted?
Maybe it will end up being cheaper buying another RRC. Those sell for cheap nowadays and some do not have much rust. Plus, you can probably keep your RRC for parts.

There was an article in LRM a few months ago "Shoestring Disco" where they replaced the wheel arch on the disco using a (used) RRC wheel arch (with some basic mod to it). So I'd assume that the other way around is also possible. But if you can't do it yourself, then.... Probably not something you want to tackle.

Ask yourself the question: How attached are you to this specific RRC?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:31 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

The "95 RRC LWB will be collectable so putting some money into the truck isn't a bad thing if you want to keep it. The rust on the frame looks very repairable to me. I've seen Series Rovers with a lot more rust than that be repaired very well by a good welder without costing an arm and a leg. You just need to find someone who can weld who doesn't mind working on the truck. Doesn't need to necessarly be a Rover mechanic if that's all the rust there is on the frame.
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I could do that no problem. The issue is when you pull the transmission crossmember, there will be holes behind it too.

Take a couple hours to weld in patches. Twice that to use another frame section to match the seam at the bottom.

Ron

BTW I have seen frames much worse. That is a really quick and easy repair (once you get the trans crossmember out).
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Do you do this for a living? Would you be interested in making a few dollars one weekend? If so, send me a PM. I'm not rich, but I'll pay you what it's worth, and maybe you could teach me a few things, too.
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:31 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

That cancer is not going away with Kemo.

4500 plus shipping. I'll swap the frame and one inner fenderwell and supply those parts. But you have to promise to finally fall in love with this truck and quit whining. I agree you got the shaft by your description of problems thus far with it. But I'm unwilling to bust my ass to save you money and bail you out so you can go sell the POS and pretend to recover some of your investment.

And if you try to trap me into some sort of rushed time frame I'll bail out on you as well. Be prepared for me to find other problems and try to have a handle on its overall condition so no more large surprises confront us during the repair. If there are some overlapping repairs that could be done at the same time I will gladly include them for the above amount.

"Them are some" tough breaks
hang in there
Jim Pendleton
Pendy Import

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I think I follow, but I'm not sure, Jim. I can't tell if that was a scolding or an offer.

Admission: Hell yeah I've been whining! [and I am sorry for that] The extent of problems with the truck is the peak of the iceberg of what this deal's cost me (nuff said on the 'net). This seems to be a good board for good advice, so I ask my questions here. I'm aware the questions are probably tiresome to the board by now (or at least the style of the questions).

I had fun fixing the stuff I've fixed so far, have learned one hell of a lot about working on it, and in the process have somewhat fallen for the damn truck. I bought it for what it [could be], and still have a need for that. My wife finds it funny how I still like the Range Rover so much after all it's cost in time, money, and consequential damages.

That is -> if the truck can be made correct, I've no interest in parting with it. It's a perfect field truck for land surveying.

I'm driving to California July 31. Are you suggesting it's worth taking the Rover out there and dropping it off with you on our way out?
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:20 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Bring it!

Maybe we'll just register it in Kansas for you as well.

Old July 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

you could be one of the only RRCs on a galvanized frame.
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yeah, Id throw that in on the deal. But I've done that for others so he won't be alone.

JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions