The painful Hard Top Installation! Question for L.A. people. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2006, 03:06 AM
d90guyinla
mike

The painful Hard Top Installation! Question for L.A. people.

I'm dreading the thought of having to reattach my hard top. Is there anyone out there in the Los Angeles area (give or take 5 miles) who has done this or knows of a great place that can do it.

Let me know by email at msgla@aol.com

thanks!

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2006, 04:56 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I`ll buy it off you so you don`t have to do it.... how`s that sound?
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Mike,
It's not that hard to do. Just take your time. Start by putting on the corner pieces and sides and then the top. You'll need help getting the top in place. Be careful getting the top and sides around the roll cage. Work it in a little at a time switching form side to side so it won't crack. Just snug or hand tighten the bolts until you get them all in. I put the rear window on last once everything else is all lined up. I left the rear window on once but it makes the top too awkward. If you haven't removed it I highly recommend that you do. It's only 4 bolts and two quick releases for the pistons.
I'm putting mine on tomorrow morning. It takes me about 2-2.5 hours but this will be the 9th time putting it on. Figure on 3.5 - 4 hours if this is your first time.
You'll need a 10mm socket and open end wrenches for the bolts the hold the top to the sides and back and also along the edge of windshield and either 12 or 13mm for the rear window hinge bolts and the bolts along the inside of the sides and back.
I also put some window caulking cord around the bolts fro the top to seal out water.
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...rd-606831.aspx
Did I mention to take your time?.. I hope this helps.
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Who needs a hardtop in LA?
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:49 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Who needs a hardtop in LA?
who needs a defender in LA, i'm pretty sure it's like a 50 mile drive in any direction to find dirt?

the answer is bc they have it and want it...

I was gonna make some comment about main line pa, but having gone to school there the 4 wheel drive help out when it snowed.
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, but cruising around SOCAL with no roof 99 days out of a hundred is the way to go. That is why you need a D90 in LA. And the fact that the pair of them both want it. Either they live in a bad nieghborhood (my POE top went to queens) or they just like it.
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:50 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
[QUOTE=tkavan01]who needs a defender in LA, i'm pretty sure it's like a 50 mile drive in any direction to find dirt?
QUOTE]

Dirt may be 50 miles away but when you get there you you have thousands of square miles to roam and generally act like fools
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Friends 055.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	6978   Click image for larger version

Name:	DesertApril2006 021.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	6979  

Old October 6th, 2006, 12:54 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Either they live in a bad nieghborhood (my POE top went to queens) or they just like it.
Hardtops and Locks are needed for bad neighborhoods like Queens!

FYI: Ron and I put my new POE top on around 9pm Friday night. took us about 3 hours (with breaks and drinking involved) and i drove it back home to Queens that night! its was worth it.

so find someone to help ya, or just take your time... because it will be worth it to you.
Old October 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
khouseal
Kevin Houseal
1994 NAS D-90

I have a PDF entitled NAS 90 Hardtop Fitting instructions. It's 1.58MB, I can try emailing if you want it.
Old October 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Mike, I assume this is the fiberglass top? I have done it 3 times - always on my own. When I moved out here (from NJ to CA, I am in T.O.) I sold it to someone in NYC.
Read what Eric wrote. Spot on. I added rubber padding (1mm) on the tub top for water prevention. Never knew if it mattered, as it took me months to figure out the water was coming in throught the raingutter positioned bolts. ( Obviously LR engineers inhaled and bonged when designing this LR add on). I recaulked the seams, windows and over top the windshield everytime the top when on after that.
Guess it is time for me to put the soft top on as well. Bummer! Its been off since May and I'm not sure where the windows are.
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I put the fiberglass top on the ST by myself, every year also. Hang the top cap on the garage ceiling, drive under it (once the window panels are on) and lower it down. Try and take care of the 14 nylon shouldered washers that insert in the bottoms of the window panels. I've never been able to find a source for those pesky buggers. (Hmm, Mike M @ LR West Chester can you get them??)
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:59 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I found some of those. Local hardware store - ACE maybe. I lived in NJ then.
What I loved was getting a socket wrench to fit in the gutters, holding that in place with 1 hand, banging the top into alignment with the other hand, while holding the spanner on the bolt with my left foot, and using my right toes to pick up the pieces that fell. Yoga Land Rover, grasshopper!
Yes, yes, I had all the wrong tools back then - still do come to think of it.
Old October 7th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Mike,
A few pointers that I forgot to mention.
Connect the side window pieces with the corner piece togehter and put them on as one piece.
Also if the brackets for the rear window pistons are off. Put the weather stripping on first, then bolt the brakets on.
When you go to remove the side bars that support the windshield, you dont have to remove the sunvisors all the way just take off the outer screws and lossen the ones by the light and pivit the sunvisors and trim out of the way. It can be pretty trickey to line up the sunvisor, trim and screw when it's all off.
Eric
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:08 AM
d90guyinla
mike

First of all, thanks to Kevin for the pdf's. Very comforting to have. Also, thanks for all the other helpful comments and suggestions. As for the lame anti D90 owning comments related to L.A., I am puzzled by why you even care. Every ass here has a porsche or a ferrari, but how cool is it to pull up to Valet in this! Parked up front and the chicks dig it too! Besides, I'll be prepared after the big earthquake hits! hehe
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
who needs a defender in LA, i'm pretty sure it's like a 50 mile drive in any direction to find dirt?

the answer is bc they have it and want it...

I was gonna make some comment about main line pa, but having gone to school there the 4 wheel drive help out when it snowed.

You're an idiot
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hard top, installation