Defender Source Forum banner

The Official 4.6 Conversion Thread

Tags
conversion
14K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  The Dro 
#1 ·
OK, since test driving a NAS D110 4.6 I believe that the 4.6 is the most user friendly D110 engine for the daily driver ect. So I thought I would start a 4.6 NAS conversion thread to help others on their journey too. Don't get me wrong I love the diesel engines, and think they sound like they belong in a Defender. But my own concerns for daily driving and DOT BS down the road make me lean towards the 4.6.
As for off-road, the perceived disadvantage of the 4.6 over the diesel are water, and low end torque. So with the 4.6 one may want to stay out of the deep end, and buy and under-drive for the transfer case.

4.6 engine options: (Links provided below)
Short Block/Long Block from Atlantic British and use the 3.9 parts I already have
Complete Engine from RPI
Complete Engine from JE Engineering

Transmission/Transfer Box:
Can an R380 handle HP up to 300 and torque to 350?
RPI says it can
The 4.6 D110 I drove still had the original LT77S, and I was advised to start from stop in 2nd.
What about the transfer box? Can it handle the extra power too?

Computer/ ECU:
What is best, a 4.2 ECU, 3.9, 3.9 chipped, or 4.6?
RPI will provide the ECU.
The 4.6 D110 I drove was also running on a non-altered 3.9 ECU, and had plenty of power.

From what I can tell RPI offers a complete plug and play 4.6 (anything and everything needed), and transmission (R380), clutch/fly wheel, ect. They like JE Engeneering offer a Stage 1, 2, & 3 power upgrades.

Jim and Chris, please feel free to merge other 4.6 threads to this one.

See less See more
#34 ·
so maybe a kit from Summit Racing?
wonder which one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.