The *official* 300 TDi Performance Thread - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The *official* 300 TDi Performance Thread

I hope Pendy sees this!

There are now a lot of guys running these engines, and a lot of them seem to be lurking here. I want to start a thread where every possible performance mod gets discussed. Many of them we already know about as they have been discussed, but I am sure there are a few out there that somebody knows something about, that are new. Or even old mods like intercoolers, with a new twist. Propane Injection? NOS? Injectors? I want some more power, and a discussion would do me a lot of good.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This is a good Idea. I started out installing a NRP S/S exhaust system. Now it flows like made. Now its time for an intercooler of some sort and who knows what else.
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I adjusted the throttle stop so I could get more travel on mine!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I adjusted the throttle stop so I could get more travel on mine!
I don't even have one. Surprisingly, that didn't make the power infinity.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

There is one on the injection pump also. Some sarcasm some fiction some fact-

So you are Cary's cabin boy now? NIiCe Tell her I said Hello!

Old August 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
There is one on the injection pump also. Some sarcasm some fiction some fact-

So you are Cary's cabin boy now? NIiCe Tell her I said Hello!
Only if you tell me how to get 350 ft/lb's of torque reliably for 50 miles!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 31st, 2008, 07:25 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Only if you tell me how to get 350 ft/lb's of torque reliably for 50 miles!
stuff a 7.3 powerstroke in it....oooops, now that wouldn't be a 300 would it. But if you want more power there is no substitute for displacement.

Like everything else combustible...the hotter it burns the faster it burns out. We've run the propane on boats and it will certainly make you jump, nice for a drag race but not much good for lobstering. I can't think why you'd want to do these things to a 300tdi which would be used for off roading. Unless this discussion is purely for theoretical purposes. I have a bunch of motors but not really worth sacrificing one for entertainment and theory and how to build one for a good usefull life is widely known....just ask Pendy (had to say it Jim)

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
stuff a 7.3 powerstroke in it....oooops, now that wouldn't be a 300 would it. But if you want more power there is no substitute for displacement.

Like everything else combustible...the hotter it burns the faster it burns out. We've run the propane on boats and it will certainly make you jump, nice for a drag race but not much good for lobstering. I can't think why you'd want to do these things to a 300tdi which would be used for off roading. Unless this discussion is purely for theoretical purposes. I have a bunch of motors but not really worth sacrificing one for entertainment and theory and how to build one for a good usefull life is widely known....just ask Pendy (had to say it Jim)
A 7.3 could get 900 or so. Thats more than I need. I know I didn't set this up well, but I want to get one place going where people can talk about what they have done and what they liked or didn't like. The propane was just an example, although because I have a stange need, that may be an option for me. I need better top end, for the first time.

Here is an example, I would recommend a 3in, no muffler exaust to everyone. It is a great upgrade. I would also stay away from the stock replacement intercooler. Mine did nothing for me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Hows about this?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pts/821579927.html
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:24 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Lets talk about your stock replacement intercooler. An intercooler is like the 3" exhaust. It only helps the engine breath properly with more fuel added. A larger intercooler may make the truck feel like it has more balls on a cool brisk day. But in the real world ambient tempuratures will overcome the effect of a larger intercooler. A hot day for instance. Your K&N air filter, 3" exhaust and mondo intercooler are only as good as the fuel you put to combustion. Their job is to keep the engine alive under duress.

The engine is most happy in its stock form and tune or slightly uprated. If reliability is wanted.

But as other demands are made of the vehicles by their operators, more is asked of the engine as well. The shelf life suffers.

Performance-shelf life suffers. Wrap your head around that idea so there is no remorse. IMO moderate performance with a well thought out approach can mimick stock and stock tune to a point. But the room for error is less.

The direction you may want to take with performance, to get a good 50 mile run, is prolly going to take you outside the box. The place where you could take the engines performance will start to embrace "destructive harmonics." Something beyond EGT temps and an overly healthy cooling system. The last straw.

Try not to draw the last straw. That would be the trick.

Just some thoughts

Old September 1st, 2008, 02:02 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Lets talk about your stock replacement intercooler. An intercooler is like the 3" exhaust. It only helps the engine breath properly with more fuel added. A larger intercooler may make the truck feel like it has more balls on a cool brisk day. But in the real world ambient tempuratures will overcome the effect of a larger intercooler. A hot day for instance. Your K&N air filter, 3" exhaust and mondo intercooler are only as good as the fuel you put to combustion. Their job is to keep the engine alive under duress.

The engine is most happy in its stock form and tune or slightly uprated. If reliability is wanted.

But as other demands are made of the vehicles by their operators, more is asked of the engine as well. The shelf life suffers.

Performance-shelf life suffers. Wrap your head around that idea so there is no remorse. IMO moderate performance with a well thought out approach can mimick stock and stock tune to a point. But the room for error is less.

The direction you may want to take with performance, to get a good 50 mile run, is prolly going to take you outside the box. The place where you could take the engines performance will start to embrace "destructive harmonics." Something beyond EGT temps and an overly healthy cooling system. The last straw.

Try not to draw the last straw. That would be the trick.

Just some thoughts
So to summarize, for us less lofty folk, I've done all I really can.....?

For those following, I have an intercooler upgrade, 3in-no muffler exaust, and a Pendy special fuel pump tweak. If there is nothing much else to do, I can accept that. The absolute greatest thing about the motor is the reliability, so killing that doesn't make a lot of sense. But.....I'm sure there are still things that have not been brought up, and I was hoping this thread can cover some of them.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Post Vgt

Dunno if you might be interested but speaking of performance...I'd like one!
VGT

Anybody speak the idioma?
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II
Dunno if you might be interested but speaking of performance...I'd like one!
VGT

Anybody speak the idioma?
Yes, i think it's a regular turbo replacement, nicely done by the way.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

OK, twin turbos, head studs, maybe O-rings, injectors, aftermarket/upgraded fuel pump(lift pump). Maybe top it off with methanyl or propane injection.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

??????????????????????????????????????
Attached Images

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL... But it goes to 11...
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:

To take this in a slightly different direction, what if reliability rather than power becomes the ultimate directive?

Is stock the pinnacle of reliablity?

What can be upgraded to this end?
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

5 core radiator and stage 1 allisport intercooler. Wastegate and injection pump boost signal rerouted to the intake manifold and 15-16 lbs boost verified.

IMO-Jack

Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Cool.

I'm picking out a radiator and intercooler shortly.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Buck

Is your air filter stock? Do you run a snorkel?

I don't really care for a K&N air filter for these engines, but it you could cover one in a prescreen like a motorcycle filter does and run a large bore snorkel to a pre filter type arrangement at the snorkel head-might be a good arangement for you and would help it breath better for your "events" with Cary.

From there a slight propane injection system actually burns the fuel better, so you reduce fueling at the injection pump. Some changes that may not venture into the "destructive harmonics" realm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I hope Pendy sees this!

There are now a lot of guys running these engines, and a lot of them seem to be lurking here. I want to start a thread where every possible performance mod gets discussed. Many of them we already know about as they have been discussed, but I am sure there are a few out there that somebody knows something about, that are new. Or even old mods like intercoolers, with a new twist. Propane Injection? NOS? Injectors? I want some more power, and a discussion would do me a lot of good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi