The *official* 300 TDi Performance Thread - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 4th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have a question regarding suggested regular maintenance for the 300tdi engine. I purchased my D90 a year ago. The 300tdi engine that is currently in it was installed new 5 years ago this month. I am wondering what sort of preventative maintenance I should consider and when (other than the basic stuff like oil changes). What should I be looking for to keep it in good running order? When should I recondition or replace the injectors? Timing belt? Gaskets? I have a full width Allard intercooler as well. Does that need maintenance? Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Probably said before (t's now a 5 pages thread and
i'm not going over it again, sorry), but you should
basically change your oil often and adjust your valve
clearance every 10,000 km.
For the timing belt, 6 years or 100,000 km wichever
come first.
For your intercooler, it depends if your engine oil
breather is connected to the air intake. In case it
is, clean intercooler and pipes once a year.
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for the info.

I have read the thread several times and there is nothing mentioned of regular scheduled maintenance. The majority of this thread is discussing modifications and improvements to increase performance. I am just looking for some milestones to watch out for in order to do preventative maintenance as opposed to waiting for something to break and then fix it.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
come first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2010, 06:25 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Anyone have any experience with these 300Tdi upgrades?

300Tdi upgrade from 2.5L to 2.8L

300Tdi variable vain turbo

I know of a company here in the US that may be able to build a variable vain turbo conversion kit for the 300Tdi. They have been known to achieve 50-75% gains in HP and torque in some engines. A variable vain turbo would essentially eliminate the turbo lag of the 300Tdi felt at take off from stopped. With an upgraded turbo, increased fuel delivery, and a extra large inter-cooler, it may be possible to get V8 comparable driving ease with a diesel.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I have been involved reconfiguring the 300tdi to 2.8l TGV spec a few times now. My recommendation would be to just buy a 2.8l TGV. The block is made stronger to deal with the higher output.

The store bought parts work just fine for the turbo change. Hard to believe some one could build and sell anything from scratch for very much less.

What would your "company" project as a cost for their kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham
Anyone have any experience with these 300Tdi upgrades?

300Tdi upgrade from 2.5L to 2.8L

300Tdi variable vain turbo

I know of a company here in the US that may be able to build a variable vain turbo conversion kit for the 300Tdi. They have been known to achieve 50-75% gains in HP and torque in some engines. A variable vain turbo would essentially eliminate the turbo lag of the 300Tdi felt at take off from stopped. With an upgraded turbo, increased fuel delivery, and a extra large inter-cooler, it may be possible to get V8 comparable driving ease with a diesel.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I have been involved reconfiguring the 300tdi to 2.8l TGV spec now. My recommendation would be to just buy a 2.8l TGV. The block is made stronger to deal with the higher output.

The store bought parts work just fine for the turbo change. Hard to believe some one could build and sell anything from scratch for very much less.

What would your "company" project as a cost for their kit?
That is just it, it would not cost less, but better performance and build quality. A wild guess would be $3,000 to $5,000 for the turbo conversion kit alone. Also this company is stateside.

As far as the 2.5 to 2.8 conversion, you make a valid point.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I built a manifold just for that purpose, in the end putting it all together would not be cost effective to resell it as a product.

I will be putting a similar kit to the M&D kit on my truck later in the month. I understand Jim's point but hey I'm a rebel, and I'm not looking to get huge increases in HP
I'm hoping to bring in as many kits as I can and there is a list of guys on this board that would like to "get in" on the fun. You are welcome to as well.
Keep in mind the main reason to put this set up on a 300 is to increase low end/midrange torque. I would recommend against going crazy with the pump and trying to get loads more HP out of the 300, it's just not made for monster output.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
it may be possible to get V8 comparable driving ease with a diesel.
Let me stop you there and make the suggestion

NO

... and interject my opinion after toying with my 300 for the past year. The 300 is a great engine, really, but it is to the modern direct injection turbodeisel what the Rover 3.9 is to the modern fuel injection petrol V8 engine. Sure you can tweak it this way and that but there is no feasible way to increase its output to the point where it compares to driving a v8. You already know diesels have a very different powerband. Modified diesels of this type dont make that much more power and at are that much closer to the breaking point- which defeats the reliability aspect. Like I said before, funny little mechanical pump diesels are great but I feel they are better geared in applications where two things are required- grunt and reliabilty. An application like say... a tractor. If you want balls to the wall, boosted 4cyl TDI performance that rivals even the 4.6 swapped trucks- start looking for a TD5 to install and modify.

Follow-up Post:

I should add that after buying an upgraded turbo and big ass intercooler, I have been toying with what to do next and it isnt a variable vane turbo... but should do away with the lag

on the other hand, I could just do 4BT swap.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Let me stop you there and make the suggestion

NO
TD5? Well maybe. I guess a computer managed 3.9 is no better than a computer managed TD5...
At least is will sound better.

click here--->?

I keep coming back to the 300Tdi option because of simplicity and parts availability.
When I have driven Kermit's NAS D110 300Tdi, my biggest complainant is the turbo lag. The effective level of boost does not kick until well after you are rolling. I just think that a turbo that is essentially spooling at idle would be something to consider.

Follow-up Post:

I should note that when I mean sound in the video link on this post I am referring to the TD5, and not the goofy German tecno music. Oh well, that is the coolest D110 I have seen!

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
click here--->? DMC Defender 110
Nice truck good sounds
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I guess a computer managed 3.9 is no better than a computer managed TD5...
A tuned and modified TD5 is as close to V8 driveability as you are gonna get.

Quote:
The effective level of boost does not kick until well after you are rolling. I just think that a turbo that is essentially spooling at idle would be something to consider.
One way to combat this is with two turbos, one to spool quick, and a second to pick up where it drops off. Dont know if its been done or can be done on a Rover baby diesel or not.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I don't think the answer is as simple as "no".

I think it depends heavily on your expectations. If your goal is to get the TDi to perform as well as a rover 3.9 V8 then I think it is possible. The tdi can make a reliable 150hp and what, 250-270 lb of torque? That in my opinion only, is the upper limit of what is possible. It's no LS V8 for damn sure. But with the rather pathetic 3.9 numbers of 190 HP and 236lb or torque it is most definately comparable. If you add in the fact that the max HP of the 3.9 is at near 5000 rpm the Diesel will perform in the ballpark during real world driving. Geared right and tuned right you are there, but you get less staying power at higher speeds.

I have started to have some heating issues as of late, but I am pretty sure the pump is dumping fuel right now. That said, the reliability has been there. I think the answer is yes. Just be aware that you will never ever get the "feel" of a real V8. But a 3.9, sure. I would like to put my rig up against a stock 3.9 in a 0-40mph test. I think it would be similar.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I don't think the answer is as simple as "no".

I think it depends heavily on your expectations. If your goal is to get the TDi to perform as well as a rover 3.9 V8 then I think it is possible. The tdi can make a reliable 150hp and what, 250-270 lb of torque? That in my opinion only, is the upper limit of what is possible. It's no LS V8 for damn sure. But with the rather pathetic 3.9 numbers of 190 HP and 236lb or torque it is most definately comparable. If you add in the fact that the max HP of the 3.9 is at near 5000 rpm the Diesel will perform in the ballpark during real world driving. Geared right and tuned right you are there, but you get less staying power at higher speeds.

I have started to have some heating issues as of late, but I am pretty sure the pump is dumping fuel right now. That said, the reliability has been there. I think the answer is yes. Just be aware that you will never ever get the "feel" of a real V8. But a 3.9, sure. I would like to put my rig up against a stock 3.9 in a 0-40mph test. I think it would be similar.
If I could get a 300 Tdi close to 150hp and close to 270lb torque in the D110 (and be reliable) I would be happy. If I could keep it in the 70 mph range on the highway, that too would be a bonus. The 3.9 in my D110 is livable as it is, therefore if I can get the 300 Tdi close to it, great!
I guess the best question to ask is:
Who's 300 Tdi is delivering that kind of power, and what is the recipe?
I have heard that the 3.9's actual hp is closer to 162.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You can get there by just dumping tons of fuel and boost into it. Once you do that you have to get the goodies to keep it cool. Get an egt guage and try to keep it under 1250. Probably not what your after though as I am not sure how reliable it is for normal use. I have had good luck so far but who knows. Mine smokes like crazy now.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Those are simple numbers to get. Fuel, boost and an intercooler. 70 mph is easy in a stock TDI. You cannot compare peak numbers between gas and diesel as a diesel has a more usable power band. A VNT as discussed here drastically increases the size of the power band.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A tweaked tdi 110 is whole lot more drivable than a stock 3.9 110 in my opinion with half the operating costs and easier maint schedule plus usually increases resale value. No brainer.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 4th, 2010, 02:48 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
A tweaked tdi 110 is whole lot more drivable than a stock 3.9 110 in my opinion with half the operating costs and easier maint schedule plus usually increases resale value. No brainer.
V8's feel faster because of the greater rev range 2-5000 rpm whereas the tdi 1800 - 4000 rpm max but more realistically 1800 - 3000 rpm chalk and cheese.
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:34 AM
globallandrovers
Julian Kotting
1999 P38 DT, 1997 LHD 110 CSW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Doug makes a good point, but for power and economy fit a 3.9ltr 4cyl Izusu TDI.

Land Rover Defender Specialist. - We ship worldwide.
We are a specialist in TDI re-power conversions, and Crate 'turn key' Land Rover TDI and TD5 engines and Transmissions.
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
V8's feel faster because of the greater rev range 2-5000 rpm whereas the tdi 1800 - 4000 rpm max but more realistically 1800 - 3000 rpm chalk and cheese.
I thought it was 4500?

My tach starts bouncing back and forth at about that rpm.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer

Registry
OK, school me on this one:
If the TD5 and 300 Tdi are both 2.5L, then is it not possible to get 195hp and 310 torque from a 300 Tdi?
JE Engineering claims 195hp/310 torque from their Stage 2 TD5. Or does it boil down to physics of an additional cylinder in a TD5?
OK. Why is it that the TD4 Puma that is a 2.4L (4 cylinder) can get 180hp/332 torque from JE Engineering's stage 2.
Is it the turbo they are using coupled with fuel delivery and inter-cooler upgrades (certainly not computer)?
I have driven both a 300 TDI D90 and D110. The D90 was slow off the line, but not bad. The D110 was good once you hit 30 mph, therefore I think it is the turbo lag that is the 300 Tdi's achilles heal.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
come first.
Add to the list new injectors every couple of years...
Don't get me wrong, I have always wanted a diesel in my Defender, it is just finding the right one. So why do some say the maintenance on a 300 Tdi is less than the 3.9 and cheaper? I just change the oil, coolant, and spark plugs/cap on the 3.9.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi