The *official* 300 TDi Performance Thread - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Buck

Is your air filter stock? Do you run a snorkel?

I don't really care for a K&N air filter for these engines, but it you could cover one in a prescreen like a motorcycle filter does and run a large bore snorkel to a pre filter type arrangement at the snorkel head-might be a good arangement for you and would help it breath better for your "events" with Cary.

From there a slight propane injection system actually burns the fuel better, so you reduce fueling at the injection pump. Some changes that may not venture into the "destructive harmonics" realm.
Thanks Pendy,

I run an big open eliment K&N where the stock airbox used to be. No more canister. I run a prefilter on the K&N. I would be willing to try the snorkle idea, but I really don't think it will help much. I have no real fenders and no inner fenders, so there is plenty of air rushing through the motor. And, for the race specifically, when you get in someones dust trail, a snorkle would still suck it all in. The additional prefilter would be nice, but I don't find particulates in my air intake even before I started running the prefilter.

I am seriously considering the propane injection. There is some info online about 2.5 td applications where the gains were substantial with little or no egt gains. There is a simle kit available that works off the turbo boost with fine adjustment. I am noodling right now.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Does anyone know of a filter wrap for the K&N 38-9051 300tdi filter?

K&N does not make one that even comes close.

FYI:
220mm height
133mm dia
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:18 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
5 core radiator and stage 1 allisport intercooler. Wastegate and injection pump boost signal rerouted to the intake manifold and 15-16 lbs boost verified.

IMO-Jack
agreed. With all the shit I have done to mine (I had it so I could power slide on pavement with 35" tyres locked) ...that's what I have backed into and I'm totally happy to be back there.

Still don't get 30 mpg though (had to throw that in JP)

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2008, 04:18 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Buck

Is your air filter stock? Do you run a snorkel?

I don't really care for a K&N air filter for these engines, but it you could cover one in a prescreen like a motorcycle filter does and run a large bore snorkel to a pre filter type arrangement at the snorkel head-might be a good arangement for you and would help it breath better for your "events" with Cary.

From there a slight propane injection system actually burns the fuel better, so you reduce fueling at the injection pump. Some changes that may not venture into the "destructive harmonics" realm.

What's wrong with the K&N?
I've run one for 3 expeditions to Morocco. Standard air box, no snorkel.
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-...s-finally.html
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Nothing. There's nothing wrong with running them (no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise). If you look at just about any sandrail built by a pro shop, you will find an open air K&N with a prefilter on it. The whole backlash against K&N started when people would over-oil them and they had problems with the MAF sensor because of it. It was user error, and we don't have maf sensors. All the other nonsense is just repeated rumors. I have run one for 270,000 miles on my Nissan, 4 years on my TDi. It's fine. Now whether or not it actually makes any performance gains on the 300 is a worthwhile conversation. I didn't notice any improvement at all, other than I got to drop all the bulky airfilter stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	15234  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Thanks Buck, I've got them on all 3 of my Tdi's. Principally to avoid the constant replacement.
I think it saved the 90's engine when I went overly deep in some water (Twice)
Water went through the engine but I believe the K&N atomized the water sufficiently to avoid hydraulic lock.
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My next step will be the rad and intercooler. then maybe that secret pump and boost trick from pendy..

what about that vgt. that looks sweet.
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
My next step will be the rad and intercooler. then maybe that secret pump and boost trick from pendy..

what about that vgt. that looks sweet.
vgt?

btw, the intercooler will not help without the pump mods.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:10 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II
Dunno if you might be interested but speaking of performance...I'd like one!
VGT

Anybody speak the idioma?
Yeah, the VGT. I believe you can buy this as a kit.

Follow-up Post:

http://www.allardturbosport.co.uk/pa..._discovery.asp
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Buck,
What prefilter are you running?
Is that a 'OE' sized filter element?
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Buck,
What prefilter are you running?
Is that a 'OE' sized filter element?
No, but I meant to help you earlier. I need to go out and check what brand because they make just about every size. The truck is loaded up on the trailer right now to be dropped off at the painters, so on the way in tomorrow I will grab the name.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Dave,

Do you still have your OE intake and filter assembly?
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Dave,

Do you still have your OE intake and filter assembly?
Hey,

Somebody beat you to it by 2 days! I just sold it. Sorry man.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

How about the performance 300tdi head from Turner Engineering in UK?
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I'm really leaning toward the propane injection. Did some research recently and the power gains with very little sacrifice in other areas are impressive. I will do a full write up when I get it installed and do some testing. Will be sooner rather than later.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Hey,

Somebody beat you to it by 2 days! I just sold it. Sorry man.
It's all good homey.

My gearbox just showed up.
Going down to the shop to check it out.

Almost wrench time...
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Gotta love *official* topics...

Just beginning to learn about the LR Diesels, and I am already interested in performance upgrades, but have some basic questions too.

Pendy you had mentioned rerouting some vac lines? Something to do with the wastegate and reference signal to the injection pump I believe, could you shed some more light on that please?

I currently have a boost guage installed in the short line that runs to the wastegate, is this an acceptable line to monitor the boost?

I have purchased an EGT guage, can anyone suggest an optimum location for the probe on the 300 Tdi? Guy I bought it from suggested less than 6in from the turbo, clamped into the downpipe. A buddy with a Cummins says that the Dodge guys always put it in the manifold. I would hate to do it and have to go back later and move it.

I have seen the rather confusing instructions on making fuelling adjustment in the injection pump, but I hear the Bosch VE pump has a fuel screw that is much easier to use for making the adjustment. Is this possible?

Can anyone show me a picure of a factory intercooler? I cant clearly see it and would love to have an idea of how big it is before I decide how to upgrade it.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Gotta love *official* topics...

Pendy you had mentioned rerouting some vac lines? Something to do with the wastegate and reference signal to the injection pump I believe, could you shed some more light on that please?

I currently have a boost guage installed in the short line that runs to the wastegate, is this an acceptable line to monitor the boost?

I have purchased an EGT guage, can anyone suggest an optimum location for the probe on the 300 Tdi? Guy I bought it from suggested less than 6in from the turbo, clamped into the downpipe. A buddy with a Cummins says that the Dodge guys always put it in the manifold. I would hate to do it and have to go back later and move it.

I have seen the rather confusing instructions on making fuelling adjustment in the injection pump, but I hear the Bosch VE pump has a fuel screw that is much easier to use for making the adjustment. Is this possible?

Can anyone show me a picure of a factory intercooler? I cant clearly see it and would love to have an idea of how big it is before I decide how to upgrade it.
Joel,
Congrats on your purchase ! The trick on the vacuum lines is to drill into and tap the intake manifold and plumb the "t" thats on the output side of the turbo into the manifold-block off the current location. By doing this the wastegate and injection pump get a true manifold boost pressure instead of a signal before the air is pushed through the pipes and intercooler. The EGT sensor should be before the turbo- theres a flat spot in the middle of the 300 manifold that makes that easy.
I'll let someone else address that fuel screw on the back of the pump and messing with it (it has a tamper proof sheild around it that you have to dremel off).
Doug

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ahh, thanks Doug. Ive drilled/tapped manifolds on engines before without removing them, is that possible to do safely on the LR diesel?
Being that I cant just run down to my local U-pull-it yard and grab a spare engine I want to be sure before I take a chance at getting shavings into the thing. Ill look at the flat spot on the manifold, but would the location where the EGR went be of any use for the probe?

Follow-up Post:

Another Tdi question, should I trust the factory coolant temp guage? I know diesels dont run very hot and all, but something tells me the $100 investment might be a good idea.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi