"The Official" 200tdi Performance/import/install thread! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
"The Official" 200tdi Performance/import/install thread!

I'll get it started with a play by play on having one shipped.
So far- paid with Paypal, should be on a boat Tuesday, was told 2 or three weeks.
Updates as they happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Sweet we have our "OFFICIAL" thread ! I will be posting as soon I get mine stated and pump tweeked with the new intercooler.

Thanks !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
awesome! I wasn't sure if I was overstepping my bounds!

I will try and cover from shipping to 1st Startup, I will have full access since its be done at my school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Did you get the Defender or Disco version?

Please document the conversion process and all parts that had to be used / swapped with as much detail as possible (and lots of pictures).

My 200tdi (defender version) arrived yesterday and I will be watching your thread closely since it will be a big help when I convert my 90 from a 2.5 NA.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I'm putting a 200 tdi without the turbo into a lightweight, but some of my issues may overlap yours. I'll be interested in your conversions. And for what it's worth, mine is a disco 200 tdi.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:19 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Mine is also a Defender Version, work probably won't start until after Christmas, but I'll take lots of notes and pics.
Where did you get your engine from?

Hoosier, why no Turbo?
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I'll be replacing my 2.5na diesel with a disco 200tdi using a 300tdi turbo in the new year. Need to rebuild the engine first though, machining is done but it is scattered around the garage right now.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

No turbo, because a series III drivetrain probably can't take the extra hp/torque. Taking the turbo off simplifies the install (no intercooler/no oil cooler/easier exhaust routing) and drops the hp down to around 80 or so.
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Is putting a 200tdi into my NAS 110 a bad idea? Will there be much less power than my stock 3.9? I was told to go 300tdi or 4.6 gas but I really like the idea of an expedition diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit
Sweet we have our "OFFICIAL" thread ! I will be posting as soon I get mine stated and pump tweeked with the new intercooler.

Thanks !

Pat
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its not a bad idea per se, the Camel Trophy trucks did a lot more than you will probably ever do with a 200tdi. Its not going to be a v8 by any means, but the v8 isn't very speedy anyway. Of course you have to decide between gas and diesel, but right now, the choice of diesel seems more with what you can source in decent condition as opposed to pros and cons of each - which largely boil down to preference anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

200 tdi and 300 tdi are basically the same hp. But having changed the timing belt on both my engines, the 300 tdi is easier to work on. As far as the power, after driving around Morocco in a fully burdened D110 with a diesel, it's more than adequate.
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

I didn't do the swap, but I had it done on a HCPU before I imported it (risky, I know). It originally had a 2.5NA, so the V5 was right. All went well. Mine is a Disco 200Tdi. Seems like I read somewhere that the Disco 200Tdi is tuned to a higher HP than the Defender version.

Electric fan. If any of you are going the electric fan route, look at X-Eng's X-Fan. It's an easy way to add a thermostatic switch for your fans. If your 200Tdi had AC (mine didn't), the thermostat housing will be tapped for one. You could drill and tap it also.

I found out what it's like to drive a 200Tdi without the turbo the other day. At speed, the turbo hose to the intercooler popped off. Instant half power! Kinda scary until I figured out what it was...

Doug has collected on his site most of the informative 200Tdi tuning tips that I've found on the web:

http://www.dividingcreekroverimports...o_from_the_web

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1
Mine is also a Defender Version, work probably won't start until after Christmas, but I'll take lots of notes and pics.

Where did you get your engine from?
Our install should be almost exact

I purchased it from John Craddock, they were pretty easy to deal with and threw a bunch of extra stuff in the crate.

Radiator / intercooler and metal surround
rad overflow tank
power steering lines and res
Fan Shroud
Air cleaner
Air cleaner tube and fender mounts
Diesel filter and pipes
power steering box and pipes
Intercooler pipes
bunch of other little parts as well.

I am sure I will have to buy some additional bits but it is a good start and since you will be going ahead of me I will see what else is needed
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What is the advantage to the 200 over the 300? Is it price? More robust?? Just curious.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
leachy
Daniel Leach
9 LHD 300 CSWs 2017 Range Rover

ive got a 300 tdi if anyone wants one along with the gearbox, rads ect
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
What is the advantage to the 200 over the 300? Is it price? More robust?? Just curious.
Typically a Defender 200 sells for more than a 300 as they are harder to come by so price would not be the reason as far as I can tell.

My 90" is a 1984 with a factory 2.5 NA diesel so the advantage of a Defender 200 over a 300 in my case is that it will bolt in place of my 2.5 without having to move the motor mounts or change the transmission as well as a host of other things. I think it is just about as close to plug and play as you can get for my 90.

If I were converting a V8 Land Rover or doing a complete scratch build I would go with the 300 as it has better parts availability and more aftermarket parts than the 200.

I have heard some people claim that the 200 will last longer and is more reliable but I am not knowledgeable enough about the differences to make that claim.
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Straight bolt in to a 2.5 NA or TD. No need for different gearbox. Easily done in a day.
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Straight in for a 2.5 petrol also, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Straight bolt in to a 2.5 NA or TD. No need for different gearbox. Easily done in a day.
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The same

Old November 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
My 200 is coming into NY in a few weeks, I was wondering if anyone has pickup there? I was going to get a ford 250 to pick it up, but then someone asked how I'd get it up in the truck. Which I hadn't thought of! Its on a pallet, I'm hoping there is someone there with a forklift, but I have no idea.
I'm not exactly sure where its coming in, but I know others on here have gone with the same importer, Leachy, by the way.

I'm hoping Doug will jump in here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, import, tdi