"The Official" 200tdi Performance/import/install thread! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 28th, 2008, 09:26 AM
weissbrewer
Stephen Johnson
94 AA D90

bring an engine hoist with you, they sould have a fork lift though.

1982 Series 3 HCPU gone but missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Any thoughts on a good exhaust system for the 200tdi conversion on a 90?
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
disco 200 tdi into a 2.25 or 2.5 petrol defender

When putting the Disco 200tdi into a previously 4cyl gas truck a couple of the studs on the back of the engine have to be removed as well as the two "locating dowels from the clutch cover, the bell housings are slightly different. It is pretty much a drop in as stated and we did the job without even pulling the interior floor plates. Did one last weekend and we were fortunate to be able to get at the offenders with a pair of vice grips while the engine hung from a chain inches from the bell housing. The disco radiator box also requires a couple of modifications as do the radiator box mounts on the frame.
I cut out 3/8's of height from the radiator/intercooler mounts on the frame and rewelded them. The box itself had the upper "pin mounts" on the sides so these were cut off flush. On the bottom the pins don't line up with the defender mounts on the frame. Again I cut them off and after re-aligning them welded them back on. On the top the easiest way to get the top pin is to line things up and drill a hole in the box and run a bolt or peice of all thread with nuts on either side locking it firmly in place. This allows the use of the stock upper radiator mount brackets on either side. We did this install on Cabell's 110 pickup last weekend, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, maybe he will post a few. Like Andrew he also removed the disco manifolds and turbo setup and went with the 300tdi setups. These modifications we had anticipated, but the snag we hadn't expected was that the engine harness plugs were different. The disco uses a round harness plug. Defenders use a rectangular one. Not sure if he plans to splice on the plug off his old engine or order a defender harness.
These notes don't apply to Tom or Dave since you have the Defender engine but will apply for Andrew.
Tom, I bolted the engine trans and transfer case together as a unit and after unbolting the shifter lever for the lt77, I installed them easily with a come-along and a transmission jack.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on having the turbo rebuilt prior to installing (upgrading to) the 200TDI? It seems like the perfect time to have it rebuilt (along with the injectors, injector pump, etc).
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
A/C on a 200

What is the likely hood that an A/C unit from a 1995 D90 would work on a 200tdi install? I have a 2.5 petrol with A/C and was wondering, due the similiarity of the blocks, if the compressor and bracket would work on the TDI?
Thanks
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You may need to have some lines lengthed to reach but the biggest problems will probably be the compressor mount and crank pully and tensioner. The tensioner assembly on a 200 bolts on in place of the injection pump pully access plate on the front cover, the crank pully you could change when you do the timing belt. These parts were common on the disco versions.
I intend to do the same on mine. I have a NAS 90 underdash a/c system to go in my truck soon.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 30th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel
I'm curious what people's thoughts are on having the turbo rebuilt prior to installing (upgrading to) the 200TDI?
I would never consider installing it without at the least inspecting the turbo (or having it inspected if you don't know what to look for). It's possible that it was gone through not long before and is fine. It's just as possible that it's all coked up, has worn seals and is out of balance.
Remember, a turbo that self destructs can do significant engine damage.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:14 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Thanks Doug

Follow-up Post:

I live on Long Island, NY where it is mostly flat, congested and filled with ahole drivers, and was wondering if I would be best off with a 1.2 t/c?
I go off-road occasionally, mostly beach, but am most concerned with getting a little more hwy top-end 65+
and a little better acceleration.
Thanks
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tom- I guess that depends on what tires you want to run. Neil Steinhagen has the 1.2 with 235.85.16 BFG At's and his truck easily cruises @ 75 (quietly too). I have the 1.4 which I think you also got with your engine. I have 33 inch mud terrains and @ 75mph it sounds like I'm wound a little tighter than Neil's truck. You will definately want to ditch your current 1.66 box as Tdi's do best in a low rpm/high torque situation for highway cruising.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
33's would be the biggest, and as long as I can do 65 I'll be happy.
The 1.6 is coming out, and I did get a 1.4, I was just wondering if I should get a 1.2 while I had it out.
Thanks Again
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:39 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

I drove my 200 with a 1.6 for a month or so and it was awful! I swapped it to a 1.2, mainly because it was free and I had it sitting in the garage. I was a little worried about it, but it turned out great! I'm very pleased with it. The only time it might need a little more gearing is when the engine is cold (and gutless) and I have to take off on a hill. Once it's warmed up, all is well. It's a pleasure to drive now (except for that wandering steering, but that's another issue ).

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Another Question, its getting close!
I have an 1985 lt77 and was wondering if the lt77 that's coming with my 200tdi is a better tranny?
I'm happy with the performance and low miles of mine and it would be easier to leave it in, but wonder if a later model is noticeable better?
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the later box is an lt77s. its supposed to be a bit stronger and smoother shifting. I'd put that and the 1.4 in and keep the old tranny as a just in case. I installed the engine, trans and transfercase as a single unit with the shifter removed from the tranny.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 31st, 2008, 09:46 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The later model has a higher 5th gear, which will probably make you happier on the highway. It may affect your decision on 1.4 versus 1.2

http://members.shaw.ca/red90/gears.html#lt77
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Delivery of 200tdi from Uk

Took a while, but engine is in N.J.

Got the engine from Dan L. in the U.K.

On this side of the "Pond" I dealt with Troy Container N.J. so far so Good.

Dealt with Very nice and Helpful young lady named Kate.

FEES were:
$262 to get it off the ship and to the warehouse.
$10 for some scan/exam
$86 to have it delivered to my shop. Carney, NJ to Oaldale, LI.
$0 for customs fees, drove to JFK building 77 and didi it myself, five minutes in and out.

As far as the engine, I will see it on Monday, and will report back then.
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I turned up my fueling by turning the diaphram 90 degrees and the egts only get up to 950 on a mountain grade, wide open, in 5th. I'm going to shorten the adjustement on the wastegate actuator rod and up the boost pressure a bit and see what difference that makes.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Doug,
Got the fans, I'll PM you about the diff
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thumbs up 200 Tdi tuning trials and tribulations

I turned the max fueling diaphragm 90 degree's after marking the stock location and it made a small difference- noticably better acceleration. This is a very conservative/initial adjustment- many recomend a 120 degree turn. A couple days later I removed the circlip on the wastegate actuator rod and shortened it as much as the adjustment would allow (threaded rod bottoms out in the adjuster so nut much of an increase). This raises the boost a little, this was what was needed for the engine to make use of the increased fuel and the oversize intercooler. The Uk sites recomend using a dremel and shortening this rod 3mm at a time until 16 lbs of boost are acheived, I'm not going there-yet. With the higher boost and increased fueling the truck is a lot more fun to drive. The EGT numbers are still conservative but haven't taken it up a mountain grade yet. The drivablity of the truck has changed dramatically. It is litterally a blast to drive. My only regret is having waited so long to make the tweaks. A friend was with me in the truck last night and between lights exclaimed "whoa-I had no idea this thing could go that fast".

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thats cool Doug. I have to do my 300 one day. I am still afraid to bite the bullet and tweek it.

Tom, thats good news. My engine just came in today. Troy Lines called me as well.
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
As I may or may not have mentioned....

At least on my 200TDI, the boost fueling plunger runs out of travel at around 13 psi. So operating at a boost higher than that and you will not get any more fueling. You need to put in a larger spring and re-adjust all of the fueling to get things correct.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, import, tdi