The Never Ending Trailer Light Problem Story - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

The Never Ending Trailer Light Problem Story

I thought I had this problem was solved. Well, it isn’t solved. That will teach me not to trust a voltmeter! I am going to try to be calm in this posting because I know that explaining a problem over the Internet is difficult and diagnosing it is even more difficult. First, the lights do work on the trailer. They are dim but they do light up. There are two symptoms that tell me there is a problem. The first is NO MATTER WHAT LIGHTS are on (service, brake, turn signals) the backup light comes. I don’t think that is suppose to happen! The second symptom is if the lights remain on for a period of time fuses blow. More about that problem later. As for the backup light coming on how is voltage getting to the backup light. Isn’t that a completely separate circuit not connected to any of the other light circuits? The only thing I can think of is “THE BLACK BOX” is the problem. You know that box behind the right rear speaker with who know what wires going into it and the four wires for the trailer connector coming out. Is one of the wires going in connected to the backup light circuit? If one of the wires is connected to the backup light circuit, I bet if I cut that sucker it will solve the problem. But which wire to cut (CUT THE RED ONE!)? The fuse blowing problem I think is related to the backup light coming on problem. It takes awhile for the fuses to blow when the trailer is hooked up but if I jumper from a hot socket on the vehicle trailer connector to the frame (ground) the fuse blows immediately.

If you need more information please ask questions. Please don’t just say it’s a ground problem. Give me some specific to check. I spent over 6 hours last weekend checking anything and everything I could think of and still could not find out what might be the problem. May be I will just take it to the Land Rover guy and have him deal with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

If that's an old military trailer, your dim light problem might be caused by 24v bulbs.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Rod,

First thing I did when I got the trailer was to switch out the 24 volt bulbs for 12 volt bulbs. Trailer lights work fine when hooked up to my CJ5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Well, darn...
If you want to compare what wires who has going where, you're welcome to give me a call this evening. I'll be out in the garage, anyway. That's where the beer is.

303-681-2796
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Difficult to both explain and cure over the net, but I'd check every connection really carefully, make sure it's clean. Wrong lights lighting up is indeed an earth problem. The current goes to earth via another bulb's earth connection. In this case if the trailer works on another truck fine then the problem is on the landrover.

Check the socket, remake all the connections & trace each wire inspecting/ cleaning each connection as you go. By cleaning I ,mean wire brush & vasaline in each connection.

Wiring can be very frustrating to fault find, just be methodical and assume nothing.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Sounds like a classic bad ground problem. In addition the reverse light may be part of that ground.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht